Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:06 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Touche'! Although I have yet to see or hear of a female urologist. That'd be like going to a dentist who has no teeth.

Yes, because we women don't have bladders or uretheras...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 07:12 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Touche'! Although I have yet to see or hear of a female urologist. That'd be like going to a dentist who has no teeth.
Tell that to the thousands of male OB/GYNs....(please, no Cosby/Huxtable jokes here.)

Old 12-04-2014, 07:33 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Tell that to the thousands of male OB/GYNs....
I think there are probably aspects of having a female reproductive system that a man cannot relate to as well as a woman can (or at all), simply because he has a different system--which of course encompasses far more than the few urinary parts we all have. (E.g., "Doc, you know that X feeling at X spot you get X days into your cycle?") And I think the reverse is also true. I'm sure many female docs would be perfectly competent at things like vasectomies, but for hard-to-describe symptoms or uncommon problems, I think a male doctor's lifetime of possessing the same set of equipment would have an advantage. If that makes me Larry Sommers, so be it.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:41 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times
I think there are probably aspects of having a female reproductive system that a man cannot relate to

No probably about it and after the first 10 years of seeing a male ob/gyn, I switched to a female doctor and will never see a male gyn ever again

Old 12-04-2014, 09:09 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Of all the myriad details involved in a major move....it seems odd that a vasectomy tops the list.

Personally, my wife wouldn't let me go get snipped until I had the curtains up....

Old 12-04-2014, 09:25 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
It's already awkward enough to get a vasectomy, but can you imagine having to go to a woman to get it done? I just imagine that conversation with the wife.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:11 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
It's already awkward enough to get a vasectomy, but can you imagine having to go to a woman to get it done? I just imagine that conversation with the wife.
Honestly, that wouldn't bother me at all (nor my wife). Now if I had a more sensitive or esoteric procedure I needed or problem I had (e.g., "I can only get excited when Jeopardy! is on"), then I'd be more embarrassed with a female doc. But for a standard by-the-book procedure, I wouldn't think twice.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:24 AM

99 posts, read 190,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Or his sister. No sexism, Mr. C. ;-)
Wait Carlingtonian is a guy. Oh

Old 12-10-2014, 12:04 PM

21 posts, read 21,946 times
I don't know what insurance he accepts, but look up Paul Shin. I believe he is the only board-certified urologist around. He is a great doctor and all around person. I highly recommend him (my husband went to him for a procedure and he was excellent to both of us throughout the process).

Old 12-13-2014, 04:02 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
When I had mine done after our second was born, it was easy. Male doctor, took maybe 10 minutes. However, I will never forget the symbolism of looking down to see little puffs of smoke rising from your "boys", while the 20' something "assistant" who looked like she came from the pages of Playboy stared at the procedure with a stone-cold look on her face. I'd be lying if the "ghosts of girlfriends past" didn't flash before my eyes for a second or two....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia