Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:50 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times

Advertisements

I have Compass Rose, which is only open to DoD, State, and IC employees. I'm about to go to a job at an agency outside of those agencies. Does anyone know if I'll get to keep my Compass Rose, or will I have to choose from some new provider once I'm at the new place?

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 10:33 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I have Compass Rose, which is only open to DoD, State, and IC employees. I'm about to go to a job at an agency outside of those agencies. Does anyone know if I'll get to keep my Compass Rose, or will I have to choose from some new provider once I'm at the new place?

Thanks for any info.
Don't have an answer on this but I don't think it was one of my options under DOJ. You going to where we talked about on DM in the past?

Old 12-06-2014, 10:41 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,093 times
Pretty sure you won't have it as an option if you work outside of those specific agencies.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Don't have an answer on this but I don't think it was one of my options under DOJ. You going to where we talked about on DM in the past?
Nope--different place. The complete opposite direction geographically and in subject matter from the one you're thinking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
Pretty sure you won't have it as an option if you work outside of those specific agencies.
Right, but I work for DoD now, so I was hoping I'd be grandfathered in if I didn't bother to change it. Guess I could always call CR.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:43 PM

989 posts, read 2,856,285 times
I've never heard of Compass Rose insurance and we've had a federal employee in the family for years. If you do need to switch plans, we've had MD IPA for years and it has been fabulous. It's one of the more expensive plans but our experience with a family member with a chronic illness has made it worthwhile for us- their coverage is amazing.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
I've never heard of Compass Rose insurance and we've had a federal employee in the family for years. If you do need to switch plans, we've had MD IPA for years and it has been fabulous. It's one of the more expensive plans but our experience with a family member with a chronic illness has made it worthwhile for us- their coverage is amazing.
Thanks. Apparently Compass Rose was known as GEHA till a few years ago, not to be confused with the other GEHA. It's a PPO and uses the UHC network.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:56 PM

94 posts, read 177,093 times
Question for the OP - I currently have Compass Rose as well, and have been generally happy until this year. This year they switched their claims to a company called UMR. The new company has been slow to process claims, one provider even sent something to collections, which was reversed after many calls to insurance.

Then I had to have a test and UMR claims they won't pay for it because it is "genetic testing". I looked up the bill codes and it has nothing to do with genetic testing - without getting into details, the test is really straight forward and is quite common. I'm currently under appeal because it is ridiculous. The testing company is trying to charge me $600, which is typical since the negotiated insurance rates are often way below the private market rate charged when people don't have insurance. I had to deal with this refuse-to-pay for trumped-up reason BS all the time with Aetna when I was a contractor in a small negotiating pool, but thought I'd left it behind with Fed healthcare.

So would you drop Compass Rose given these difficulties? Or have you had such good experiences that you'd give it another go? I'm looking for a similar PPO, was thinking of trying the Cigna network with NALC. I'm tempted to just go over to Kaiser, but we would have to change all our doctors.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil27 View Post
Question for the OP - I currently have Compass Rose as well, and have been generally happy until this year. This year they switched their claims to a company called UMR. The new company has been slow to process claims, one provider even sent something to collections, which was reversed after many calls to insurance.

Then I had to have a test and UMR claims they won't pay for it because it is "genetic testing". I looked up the bill codes and it has nothing to do with genetic testing - without getting into details, the test is really straight forward and is quite common. I'm currently under appeal because it is ridiculous. The testing company is trying to charge me $600, which is typical since the negotiated insurance rates are often way below the private market rate charged when people don't have insurance. I had to deal with this refuse-to-pay for trumped-up reason BS all the time with Aetna when I was a contractor in a small negotiating pool, but thought I'd left it behind with Fed healthcare.

So would you drop Compass Rose given these difficulties? Or have you had such good experiences that you'd give it another go? I'm looking for a similar PPO, was thinking of trying the Cigna network with NALC. I'm tempted to just go over to Kaiser, but we would have to change all our doctors.
I haven't actually used Compass Rose that much, so I don't have much to go on. In fact, the only real reason I chose them 3 years ago was that 1. they're a FFS/PPO, and 2. they had a specific cap on ER expenses, rather than a percentage. I haven't been to a doctor (other than a dermatologist) since 2010, so the only claims I've seen from CR are when my dentist filed on my medical insurance as well as my dental for cleanings.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you've had. That is indeed cause for concern.

If there are any Feds here who are super-happy with their health insurance, I'm sure Mormegil27 and I would be eager to hear about your experience.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:40 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Thanks. Apparently Compass Rose was known as GEHA till a few years ago, not to be confused with the other GEHA. It's a PPO and uses the UHC network.
If you can't keep Compass Rose and were interested in one of the three GEHA plans, they also use the UHC network in DC, MD, and VA, as well as a a number of other states. In some states, they use other networks. I have the GEHA HDHP plan and have been happy, but I also have not had to use it for anything significant.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:10 PM

373 posts, read 870,449 times
I had BCBS basic for a few years and was overall happy with it. Had one issue where BCBS didn't pay for something. I disputed it with OPM and lost (although I still to this day don't understand why it wasn't covered). Switched about 4 years ago to GEHA Std and have been happy with that. Claims with GEHA are very quick, much quicker than BCBS. In 4 years, I've only had one issue where they didn't pay for something. I called them and they showed me exactly where in their book they say they don't cover that. I was going to switch back to BCBS, but one of the changes the following year to their program was to eliminate that exclusion. One thing that i like with GEHA is although it uses United Healthcare, Quest Diagnostics is included, along with Labcorp. I don't want to mess with the off chance one of my drs send my blood to one of those two and I'm not covered with them. These labs will submit bills for say $900, with an insurance allowable of $30. Its crazy.

GEHA Std is more than $2,000 cheaper than Compass Rose, so that is worth it to me to have the risk of an expensive hospital stay. If a hospital flat fee copay vs % is important to you, I'd go with BCBS basic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia