Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:05 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,827,745 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this on behalf of a relative. Mid 20's, single, stable job, currently paying $1500/mo to rent a 1-bedroom apartment in Alexandria. Thinking of buying a condo in the area because the mortgage on a 2-bedroom condo is the same as what he's paying in rent for a 1-bedroom apt. Budget $200-250k. How is the real estate market in NoVa? I told him it's generally a bad idea to buy condos in the suburbs due to poor resale value. Suburbs are for families and families don't want to buy condos. I'm not from the area though, so maybe the real estate market is different in DC. We're looking in the area around Landmark Mall.

Also he currently has a 30-min drive to Suitland, MD for work. Any other areas he should be looking at for a 30-45 min commute to Suitland within his price range? He likes the feel of Alexandria though - plenty of things to do, even for a single guy and close to DC and DCA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 06:46 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,790,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I'm posting this on behalf of a relative. Mid 20's, single, stable job, currently paying $1500/mo to rent a 1-bedroom apartment in Alexandria. Thinking of buying a condo in the area because the mortgage on a 2-bedroom condo is the same as what he's paying in rent for a 1-bedroom apt. Budget $200-250k. How is the real estate market in NoVa? I told him it's generally a bad idea to buy condos in the suburbs due to poor resale value. Suburbs are for families and families don't want to buy condos. I'm not from the area though, so maybe the real estate market is different in DC. We're looking in the area around Landmark Mall.

Also he currently has a 30-min drive to Suitland, MD for work. Any other areas he should be looking at for a 30-45 min commute to Suitland within his price range? He likes the feel of Alexandria though - plenty of things to do, even for a single guy and close to DC and DCA.
One thing dude should watch out for. Condo fees. I was considering buying a condo but the fees, especially in the Landmark area, can range $400-900 a month.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:59 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,189,238 times
Because housing is so expensive, condos are a popular option in Northern Virginia, especially in a close-in area such as Alexandria. In fact, a number of condo buildings have been built in Alexandria over the last few years, albeit not towards Landmark Mall. DC proper is so small that I personally consider Alexandria to be essentially an urban extension of DC.

His budget might actually be a bit low, depending on the quality or age of condo building he's considering. Also, The Dissenter has a good point about condo fees; they will only increase.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
One thing dude should watch out for. Condo fees. I was considering buying a condo but the fees, especially in the Landmark area, can range $400-900 a month.
Thanks for the tip. We noticed some buildings even had fees of over $1000/mo. That's pretty crazy. He'd most likely be looking at a building with fewer amenities, with HOA in the $300-500/mo range to make this work. If my math is right, a $225k condo with 20% down would be around $1000-1100/mo for P&I plus escrows, plus $300-500 HOA will keep him at his $1500/mo budget. He can go up to $250k with a slightly higher down payment, but the $1500/mo budget is all he wants to spend right now.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Because housing is so expensive, condos are a popular option in Northern Virginia, especially in a close-in area such as Alexandria. In fact, a number of condo buildings have been built in Alexandria over the last few years, albeit not towards Landmark Mall. DC proper is so small that I personally consider Alexandria to be essentially an urban extension of DC.

His budget might actually be a bit low, depending on the quality or age of condo building he's considering. Also, The Dissenter has a good point about condo fees; they will only increase.
Yeah, I think his budget would only be able to get him into an older 2bd/1ba condo in that area. Most of the 2bd condos are more expensive, but they are 1000+ s.f. with 2 full baths. He doesn't need any amenities other than W/D in-unit and about 750 sf. Would you consider anything inside the Beltway to be an urban extension of DC, and therefore, condos in those areas are considered a popular option? I just don't want to see him stuck with a condo he can't sell 5-7 years down the road if he is suddenly married with 2 kids. As we all know, life can move pretty fast at that age.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:12 PM

9,886 posts, read 14,157,560 times
According to a website that rhymes with Deadspin..there are approximately 20 condos currently on the market in the Landmark area in the 200K - 250K price range. In the same range, 80 have been sold in the past year (40 in the past 6 months, and 20 in the past 3.)

I think it appears to be a decent area for that price range.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Would you consider anything inside the Beltway to be an urban extension of DC, and therefore, condos in those areas are considered a popular option? I just don't want to see him stuck with a condo he can't sell 5-7 years down the road if he is suddenly married with 2 kids. As we all know, life can move pretty fast at that age.
If one is talking about Arlington County (which functions as a city) and perhaps even Falls Church, then yes, I would personally consider those as urban extensions of DC in a sense. Generally speaking, anything inside the Beltway will tend to be desirable for the shorter commute to work and leisure in DC/Arlington/Alexandria.
Condos within walking distance or very short bus/car ride to the Metrorail would be particularly desirable. If your relative is looking in the Landmark area, he will be close to both the Beltway and the Van Dorn Metro station which would be attractive to many potential buyers.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:46 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,735,435 times
I would steer him toward areas just south of Old Town Alexandria--e.g., Belle View. There are some nice townhouses there, and Suitland would be just over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

Also consider townhouses near the Mark Center; the area around there is being redeveloped, and there are already some newer townhouses on Beauregard (just south of Seminary). That too will not be an overly bad commute to Suitland.

The general point re. townhouses in the suburbs depends on the suburb. True, Arlington and Alexandria are both suburbs, as is Falls Church. Condos/townhouses in any of those areas will only go up in value, with exceptions. There are other areas outside the Beltway that I would normally advise he consider (e.g., Herndon, Reston), but given his commute, I don't think the minimal cost savings would be worth the significantly longer commute.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 12-15-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I would steer him toward areas just south of Old Town Alexandria--e.g., Belle View. There are some nice townhouses there, and Suitland would be just over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

Also consider townhouses near the Mark Center; the area around there is being redeveloped, and there are already some newer townhouses on Beauregard (just south of Seminary). That too will not be an overly bad commute to Suitland.

The general point re. townhouses in the suburbs depends on the suburb. True, Arlington and Alexandria are both suburbs, as is Falls Church. Condos/townhouses in any of those areas will only go up in value, with exceptions. There are other areas outside the Beltway that I would normally advise he consider (e.g., Herndon, Reston), but given his commute, I don't think the minimal cost savings would be worth the significantly longer commute.
The OP's relative was looking for a 2BR/1BA condo for no more than $250K. I love Belle View but I would be pleasantly surprised if a *1BR* condo was available in that budget range let alone THs most anywhere inside the Beltway on this side of the Potomac.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:39 AM

61 posts, read 67,232 times
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...57-90045?row=2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia