Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:40 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
You're not comparing apples-to-apples. If the OP took the bus from her home in woodbridge to the VRE, and then transferred to Metro, it would take at least 2 hours. Keep in mind, transferring twelve times is also a major factor in people's commute decision. Not only do you have the hassle of transferring, but you're just multiplying the chances that at least one part of your commute is going to go wrong. VRE has it's fair share of reliability issues some times, especially on the Fredericksburg Line. Not to mention, MARC is 10x cheaper than VRE. You can get an unlimited MARC card and Metro pass for a month for almost $100 less than it would cost for VRE.
Well, I don't know the bus system in Woodbridge, nor do I have experience with VRE. VRE to Union Station is the main comparison to Shady Grove to NOMA. What I know is that a bus to Metro combo in Gaitherburg has been very consistent for me, from Gaithersburg to NOMA, at 75 to 80 minutes. Add in the walk to my job and it was 90 to 95 minutes every time. The only exceptions were when the Red Line had issues, which seems to happening more and more lately. I assumed that the VRE is generally reliable so it would be similar. Is it not reliable? The transfer from VRE to Metro wouldn't be too bad most days. The trains run often during the peak hours, and it's only one stop. They could walk that distance.

Now that I'm thinking about this, does the parking at VRE fill up like it does at Shady Grove?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 AM

566 posts, read 1,558,011 times
My advice to get get as close to the city as possible. Let's say you move to Ashburn. Okay, the driving commute would be fine if you leave at off hours, but it takes but one event to derail your perfectly-timed schedule and suddenly you're in traffic hell. These far away commutes always sound good on paper, but once you start actually doing it daily, it gets old real quick.

If I were you you, I would look at Maryland neighborhoods on the red line. You'll be grateful for all the time you can spend with your family and not in a commuting nightmare like so many folks. Warning though - the red line coming in from the Rockville direction can be very packed during peak hours; coming in from the Wheaton direction is a bit lighter. Parts of Prince George's are nice and give you a ton of bang for your housing buck, but only a very small number of their public schools are up to par. Montgomery County has long been the standard-bearer for public schools in our region, though even within MoCo there are some slipping schools. Just as you would in any part of the country, you'll need to do your homework on the public schools in the area you're looking in, but there are plenty of great options in MD as there are in VA.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,532,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post

Well, I don't know the bus system in Woodbridge, nor do I have experience with VRE. VRE to Union Station is the main comparison to Shady Grove to NOMA. What I know is that a bus to Metro combo in Gaitherburg has been very consistent for me, from Gaithersburg to NOMA, at 75 to 80 minutes. Add in the walk to my job and it was 90 to 95 minutes every time. The only exceptions were when the Red Line had issues, which seems to happening more and more lately. I assumed that the VRE is generally reliable so it would be similar. Is it not reliable? The transfer from VRE to Metro wouldn't be too bad most days. The trains run often during the peak hours, and it's only one stop. They could walk that distance.

Now that I'm thinking about this, does the parking at VRE fill up like it does at Shady Grove?
Local buses in Woodbridge and Manassas are terrible. Nothing like Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Montgomery, DC, or PG.

And yes, parking at VRE is just as bad if not worse than Metro parking because the parking is free unlike Metro. Parking lots are 100% filled at almost every station that I know of except for Burke.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:43 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Local buses in Woodbridge and Manassas are terrible. Nothing like Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Montgomery, DC, or PG.

And yes, parking at VRE is just as bad if not worse than Metro parking because the parking is free unlike Metro. Parking lots are 100% filled at almost every station that I know of except for Burke.
Okay. I guess that means Gaithersburg is a slightly better option, if commute time was the only factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia