Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:59 AM

20 posts, read 27,444 times

Advertisements

Live closer.

I live 8 miles from my office. I commute from Arlington to DC, but b/c parking is so outrageously $$$ in DC, I take the bus & metro (still $$$ at $9/day, but cheaper than parking + gas), & it takes me 50 mins. to an hour to commute 1 way to work. 2 hours a day. 8 miles.

Save yourself the headache if you can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 02:08 PM

18 posts, read 23,463 times
Thanks for all the advice. Seems like the general consensus is to live closer. I was in D.C. in October and staying with a friend in Stafford, and it was definitely a pain in the ass to get into the city. I will keep looking for an apartment closer.

I did find one that I wanted to live in but when I called they start telling me about every fee I had to pay for parking at my complex, an alarm, system, admin fees and all this other stuff. I'm still on the hunt. Hopefully I'll find something soon. Thanks everyone!

Old 12-19-2014, 02:48 PM

490 posts, read 652,161 times
Life is too short too commute. The difference in rent in Fairfax, Alexandria, and Arlington can be a few hundred a month in rent. The trade off is more time to yourself, less cost of gas/wear on vehicle.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:34 PM

142 posts, read 273,896 times
With kids = further out and commuting

Without kids = downtown and partying all the time.

I do know some couples with kids that live downtown and like it quite a bit, so there's always an exception, I guess.

I wouldn't bother with Manassas. There's way better places closer.

Try www.hotpads.com and look in Crystal City, Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and North DC.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:41 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,039,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinePSS619 View Post
So I'm moving to NoVA from San Diego, CA in 12 days and I'm looking for an apartment still. I have been searching and searching and searching. Would it be better to pay less in rent and have a further drive or just cough up the money and live closer to DC? I'm going to be working in Alexandria for a month and then in Downtown D.C. for the remainder.

I've been looking at Manassas but haven't been to impressed with a lot of the apartments that I have found. Especially after reading all the reviews. Any advice is highly appreciated!

Thanks!
Let us asume that you (only) work 8 hours per day, need 8 hours of sleep a day. This leaves you with 8 hours for the rest of your day to eat, poop, and do other things that you enjoy in life.

If you take 1 hour each way to commute to work, that is 2 hours/day out of your 8 hours "free" time, or 25% of your available life. Assuming you work Monday - Friday, you will be spending 40 hours a month on commuting. For that, you will save $200/mo. on rent. You are telling us that your precious time is only worth $5/hour to you.

Are you single? Will there be more single available women in your dating target range (assuming that is your preferrence) in Manassas vs Washington D.C.? How about the "missed opportunities" cost? (I can't go to this social function because i live an hour away).

If you are married, how valuable is that 2 hour a day to spend with your wife and/or children? If living that far away is the only way to provide a home & the desirable school environment to your family, then you make the "sacrifice" to commute. Many people do it. But I can't see it just to save $200/mo on rent.

There are other reasons to live that far away from work, but those are personal choices made & make the sacrifice on commuting. Based on your post, i can't recommend that you make that choice.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:42 AM

15,475 posts, read 25,944,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Are you single? Will there be more single available women in your dating target range (assuming that is your preferrence) in Manassas vs Washington D.C.? How about the "missed opportunities" cost? (I can't go to this social function because i live an hour away).
Hmmm. Seems to me I have seen many threads on C-D asking, "Where are all the hot women in DC?" and "it's a sausage fest in all the spots people go out at." Maybe the OP should consider further out? I'm just messing with you. Forget it.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:32 AM

490 posts, read 652,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Hmmm. Seems to me I have seen many threads on C-D asking, "Where are all the hot women in DC?" and "it's a sausage fest in all the spots people go out at." Maybe the OP should consider further out? I'm just messing with you. Forget it.
DC sucks for dating, but it's great for getting laid.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:10 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,039,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
How's this for a line?
"Hey how about you & i go to my place? It only takes an hour on the VRE...."

Old 12-20-2014, 03:41 PM

15,475 posts, read 25,944,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
How's this for a line?
"Hey how about you & i go to my place? It only takes an hour on the VRE...."
What women wouldn't want an hour over 10 minutes?

Old 12-21-2014, 09:18 AM

159 posts, read 279,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
I'm in touch with this emotion.

I read a few years ago that the DC/Metro area had 75 eligible males for every 100 eligible females. Eligible male was a low standard, over 18 and not in prison. I don't travel into DC much but in good ole NVa, that ratio is still in play. It's more about tolerance for baggage.

Unattached, no kids and moving to the NCR for the career? No brainer for me, live closer and use public transportation or walk/bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia