Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 PM

18 posts, read 23,408 times

Advertisements

So I'm moving to NoVA from San Diego, CA in 12 days and I'm looking for an apartment still. I have been searching and searching and searching. Would it be better to pay less in rent and have a further drive or just cough up the money and live closer to DC? I'm going to be working in Alexandria for a month and then in Downtown D.C. for the remainder.

I've been looking at Manassas but haven't been to impressed with a lot of the apartments that I have found. Especially after reading all the reviews. Any advice is highly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 09:03 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I'd personally pay higher rent and live closer to work. Rents don't drop that considerably when you head further away, and they certainly don't decrease enough to offset the additional stress of sitting in gridlock, as well as the additional cost of gasoline and wear and tear on your vehicle to travel that greater distance.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 PM

I have been noticing that rent doesn't drop that much. I did notice that the space of the apartment does increase significantly though.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,868 times
Hello, I am also planning to relocate to NOVA by Jan end. While searching for apartments, I happen to see some apartments within 1200$ range in fairfax and Alexandria. You may check these links: ...

It will be really great if you can share how your search goes.

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-20-2014 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Recommendations are allowed after ten (10) posts.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantation1 View Post
Hello, I am also planning to relocate to NOVA by Jan end. While searching for apartments, I happen to see some apartments within 1200$ range in fairfax and Alexandria. You may check these links: ...

It will be really great if you can share how your search goes.

Those look a little old. I wouldn't live there.

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-20-2014 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Updated edited portion of link.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:43 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinePSS619 View Post
So I'm moving to NoVA from San Diego, CA in 12 days and I'm looking for an apartment still. I have been searching and searching and searching. Would it be better to pay less in rent and have a further drive or just cough up the money and live closer to DC? I'm going to be working in Alexandria for a month and then in Downtown D.C. for the remainder.

I've been looking at Manassas but haven't been to impressed with a lot of the apartments that I have found. Especially after reading all the reviews. Any advice is highly appreciated!

Thanks!
I chose short drive, more for rent. I notice the money I spend in rent, I save in commute time and commuting costs such as gas and upkeep in my car. I only average two oil changes per year since I work only 3.5 miles from my place. Plus, after doing my research you don't save much in rent by moving farther out, especially if you are looking for a studio or 1 bed apt.

Two complexes in Alexandria you may want to look at is Seminary Hill Apts and Southern Towers. The latter is older, yes, but I have a friend who snagged a recently renovated unit for less than $1k a month. I know the former was renovated recently.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:06 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,429 times
Pay more, live closer to work. You will thank us for this advice later

Old 12-19-2014, 06:11 AM

49 posts, read 94,622 times
Are you coming by yourself or do you have family and schools to be concerned with? Regardless, I would definitely spend more and live closer to work. The closer you are to DC, the more you will want to enjoy the weekend & social activities DC has to offer.

I know when I used to live in Woodbridge, I was so worn out from driving into DC during the week that I wanted to avoid driving into DC on the weekends at all costs. Now that I am in Alexandria, it is pretty easy to make a trip into the city whenever we want.

You also have more commuting flexibilty/options if you are in Alexandria than Manassas. In Alexandria, you can drive, metro, bike, or ride a bus. In Manassas, (I think) all you have is VRE and driving.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:21 AM

832 posts, read 1,418,111 times
Knowing the traffic in the area better than I did when I first moved here...

I will say get as close to public transportation as you can and pay more rent.

And by close to public transport, I mean the bus has no more than two stops before getting to the underground. Screw the real trains in the burbs that link you to the metro. Screw the $200 a month savings. The only benefit to living in the burbs is that you can get a much larger apartment for the same price or a bit less. But when you factor in the beating on your car, tolls, utility bills and frequently your neighbors, it's simply not worth it. At least not to me. I can spend $5.00 in gas and 30 minutes in the car to get to Costco or some other megamart to save $20, or I can walk to my local store, spend an extra $20 and save the aggravation.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:31 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Going from San Diego to Manassas would be like crossing the border between South Korea and North Korea. Don't do it. I lived there 10 glorious years.

Definitely pay more to live closer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia