Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:10 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times

Advertisements

Yes, the Silver Line is reliable enough. It's the Red line that has the most issues, but even that is reliable enough. I do Ashburn to Rockville (Aspen Hill) in an hour (driving). To the hospital would take about that long. I use Waxpool to 28 to the Toll rd. It can take longer on a really bad traffic day (snow/rain/accident).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 02:10 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandhmom View Post
Great to know. Thank you. So it's a wash as far as time goes…..he may get a reimbursement for the metro….maybe. I should find out for sure.

Thanks for the info.
It's not a wash as far as the time. If he drove (and paid the tolls), it would only be about an hour for him to drive. (It's 1.5 hours for me, but I live much further.)

Old 01-22-2015, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 11,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Yes, the Silver Line is reliable enough. It's the Red line that has the most issues, but even that is reliable enough. I do Ashburn to Rockville (Aspen Hill) in an hour (driving). To the hospital would take about that long. I use Waxpool to 28 to the Toll rd. It can take longer on a really bad traffic day (snow/rain/accident).
Thanks. Good to know.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:14 PM

8 posts, read 11,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It's not a wash as far as the time. If he drove (and paid the tolls), it would only be about an hour for him to drive. (It's 1.5 hours for me, but I live much further.)
Gotcha. I misunderstood. So driving would be shorter but there is the Greenway Tolls.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:21 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandhmom View Post
Gotcha. I misunderstood. So driving would be shorter but there is the Greenway Tolls.
Quality of commute is slightly better train in my opinion, atleast you can get some things done on the commute. You have to still factor in toll though since getting to Wiehle (atleast until 2018 when the second phase opens up) will still cost you a greenway and partial DTR fare... although he could try to back road it.

Either way, weigh the commute cost in terms of literal cost of transportation as well as defacto loss in per hour earnings versus current condition/less pay if he is deciding between two jobs.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:55 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
I do Arlington to Silver Spring in 30 minutes--but that's leaving at 5:15 AM and doing 75-80 on the Beltway.

(It also means I have to go to bed by 9:00--which I will do now.)

Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 AM

406 posts, read 619,679 times
It won't be fun, but not outrageously bad for the area, particularly if you are willing to pay the tolls. It might even be better than my current Fairfax to Silver Spring.

As with others, I would strongly urge against the metro commute into downtown and then back out on red line to Bethesda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia