Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 08:31 AM

210 posts, read 417,328 times

Advertisements

I enjoy visiting the Pedestrian Mall area of Winchester and find it to be most charming. There happen to be some new homes being built within walking distance of the mall, just a few blocks south. Anyone familiar with this area? It seems quite pleasant. Would it be a good area to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 01:43 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
It's got some good and not so good areas close by. For the most part though it's a good area. Your best bet is to approach a Winchester police officer and ask to speak to them off the record. Police officers generally cannot talk poorly about a neighborhood in their area but I never hesitated in a case where someone might buy in a lousy area.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:28 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
What street are the houses located on? I can't think of new construction in that area.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
What street are the houses located on? I can't think of new construction in that area.
The development is called Leicester Square and is on Leicester St between Loudoun and Cameron.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:59 AM

Interesting. I haven't been in that area in a couple months. I know Leicester from Braddock to Stewert is a very desireable area. The most upscale parts of the Historic area are Washington and Stewert from Piccadilly to Handley High School.

Depending on the type and price of those houses it could be a good deal. The area is clearly growing. Do you know who the developer/builder/realtor is? That could also give me some insight.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:05 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Used to drive through part of old town occasionally on my way to the shopping area of Winchester. Wife and I thought it was a very neat part of town. Wondered what it would be like to live there. Some of the old houses looked like they were built in the 1800s and there was nowhere to park a car except on the street. Still, very nice part of town.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Interesting. I haven't been in that area in a couple months. I know Leicester from Braddock to Stewert is a very desireable area. The most upscale parts of the Historic area are Washington and Stewert from Piccadilly to Handley High School.

Depending on the type and price of those houses it could be a good deal. The area is clearly growing. Do you know who the developer/builder/realtor is? That could also give me some insight.
I believe Oak Crest Builders did the construction. Looks to be about 6 units available:

Leicester Square Real Estate & Homes for Sale in Winchester, VA. See All Listings Now!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:14 AM

91 posts, read 129,981 times
Old town winchester is great...the area where those are being built is decent. not the nicest section of Winchester, but one that is undergoing a change for the better. it's within walking distance of the old town mall.

I rented downtown for about 4 years about 6 years ago and loved it. Downtown has only improved since then.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:02 AM

Oakcrest is definitely an old Winchester company -- not a fly-by-night newcomer. The prices seem okay and as noted above, the area is changing rather rapidly. But I was confused because I was thinking of the area between Loudoun & Braddock -- which is a slightly better area.

Loudoun & Cameron will take a bit longer to gentrify because it is further from Washington Street.

But Winchester is a really nice city. Best of luck.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:38 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,093,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAEER View Post
I believe Oak Crest Builders did the construction. Looks to be about 6 units available:
Leicester Square Real Estate & Homes for Sale in Winchester, VA. See All Listings Now!
That area should be fine. We have friends that just bought around the corner on Loudoun St. He's in IT, the wife is a CPA. There are businesses nearby including restaurants and pubs to walk to. Those townhouses are designed to attract younger, professionals. If I were buying in that area and I liked new construction, I would definitely consider them.

Visit Oak Crest Realty if you want to ask questions. They occupy that magnificent former woolen mill on Kent Street, across from the judicial buildings. The wool mill is one of their historic preservation projects and worth a visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: