Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 06:11 AM

95 posts, read 227,989 times

Advertisements

I'm a black male who moved to Alexandria in March. My preference is to date black women.

So far, from what I have seen and observed, black women don't really look for black men. Seems like they all want white men.

In hindsight, I probably should have moved to Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 09:37 AM

294 posts, read 372,245 times
Just join OKCupid or something for free and see what is out there. Also, relocating to the south, specifically McLean is a funny way to phrase it, haha.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
NOVA is in the south although it sometimes seems to be losing the southern designation. But it's still in the south.
No its not. No one cares about the mason dixon line in 2015. Its as relevant as VHS tapes.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:01 AM

526 posts, read 900,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
No its not. No one cares about the mason dixon line in 2015. Its as relevant as VHS tapes.
No one is saying anything about the Mason Dixon line. But I don't think anyone can dispute the fact that parts of the country have a "southern culture." What's relevant here is that NOVA doesn't have that southern culture, although big parts of Virginia do.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
No one is saying anything about the Mason Dixon line. But I don't think anyone can dispute the fact that parts of the country have a "southern culture." What's relevant here is that NOVA doesn't have that southern culture, although big parts of Virginia do.
Dude.. you'll find "southern culture" in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Once you leave the major cities and enter rural areas it gets pretty old school.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:00 AM

526 posts, read 900,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Dude.. you'll find "southern culture" in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Once you leave the major cities and enter rural areas it gets pretty old school.
I've lived in plenty of places, both north and south, and I disagree. Sure, small town culture in the north is very different than NOVA. But it's not the same as southern culture.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
I've lived in plenty of places, both north and south, and I disagree. Sure, small town culture in the north is very different than NOVA. But it's not the same as southern culture.
Just like NOVA is not the same as southern culture.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:55 AM

48 posts, read 52,820 times
You'll be fine. DC and the suburbs (including McLean) are very diverse both culturally and racially, likely due to the transient nature of the area. Diversity here is accepted and celebrated in most areas and interracial couples are pretty common. I'm white and my husband is hispanic. There are two other interracial couples, just on our street and we live within a five mile radius of McLean.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:03 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junesara View Post
I've lived in California, both SoCal and NorCal, my entire life and I'm relocating to the South (most likely NOVA, specifically McLean). I was wondering what the dating pool is like up there and in particular those who are open to interracial dating. Thanks in advance!
Virginia is Southern depending on who you ask. I often say that it is the Mid-Atlantic, which some say is Southern with Northern characteristics. Northern Virginia is not considered to be the South, culturally. Same with Hampton Roads, in my honest opinion.

Anyway you shouldn't have any issues. You would be surprised, how many interracial couples you see in the South. You'll find interracial couples in deep Southern states like Mississippi and Alabama. This isn't the seventies it really is not that big of a deal anymore.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:52 AM

158 posts, read 216,495 times
I would get alot of unwanted attention/harrassement in PG County and Baltimore City when I dated beautiful black women. Not so much in NoVa or Montgomery County.

You see alot of white men/asian women marriages in Nova. In my daughters class in elementary school there were 8 families like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia