Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:03 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times

Advertisements

Once you get south of Woodbridge, that's the end of Northern VA, where you encounter a different kind of racism.

The kind of racism that makes comments and gives the evil eye to interracial couples, assuming a white person, or white woman, is involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 02:08 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Is it really that bad in Richmond?

Old 07-06-2015, 02:29 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Once you get south of Woodbridge, that's the end of Northern VA, where you encounter a different kind of racism.

The kind of racism that makes comments and gives the evil eye to interracial couples, assuming a white person, or white woman, is involved.
This is the biggest line of bs I've ever heard on this site...

I'm originally from Woodbridge, but spent half my adolescence in Prince George, about 25 minutes southeast of Richmond. In my neighborhood, I grew up with:
-two girls with German white mother/black father from Birmingham (these were my parents best friends)
-two brothers with white mom/black dad
-three brothers (originally from Alexandria) with white mom/black dad
-two sisters with Filipino mom/black dad
-my seventh grade girlfriend has a white mom/black dad
-two sisters, one brother with white German mother, black dad

This isn't counting the Puerto Rican brothers on my block who dated black girls. This doesn't count people I went to school with who didn't grow up in my neighborhood (black girl I went to school with who lives in Hopewell who has two children by a Puerto Rican guy)...this doesn't count the scores of people I know across the Tri-Cities who date or have dated inter racially...

I will say as a teenager, black girls were more open to interracial dating. As an adult, though, it is more even across the board...

There are more racially tolerant areas, certainly, because interracial dating isn't "the norm", so to speak. But it certainly isn't taboo in the Tri-Cities. And I won't even begin the talk about the people I know in Richmond City. This guy is over exaggerating with the racism bit...

Old 07-06-2015, 05:22 PM

84 posts, read 77,369 times
It seems like in the suburbs amoungst young people (Columbia MD, Prince William County etc) its good...and the real ritzy, popular party areas (Georgetown, Reston Town Center, Bethesda, Adams Morgan) its accepted....but the traditional, old school places....not so much...you wont get approached.....but you will get "looks".......

PWC is a place I'd say where its beyond ok for interacial dating....These kids around here look like EVERYTHING under the sun......you will see one kid with five stereotypical features from 4 different races........mutted like a MUTHA*******

Old 07-06-2015, 06:35 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Is it really that bad in Richmond?
A couple of my friends (WM/BW couple) from Woodbridge went down to Richmond a few months ago. Did not have a pleasant experience with the public being out. I think a couple will not have much of a problem in the immediate suburbs or exurbs of Northern VA.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:47 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Yeah, Richmond is... interesting. Whenever I go to the suburbs there, it just feels very... non-progressive.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:01 AM

That's why I stay in Hampton Roads. Richmond just doesn't appeal to me. Although I do like the airport, seems cleaner than Norfolk International.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:10 AM

I just don't get it. I'm a Black Man but I don't think anything of it when I see a Black Woman with a White Man. Knowing how most Black Men are I can understand why she would be with a White Man. Most of us are checking for the same women. These women can be loud, obnoxious, ghetto. But the s& is always good, and if they love you, they'll ride for you.

Educated, eccentric, hippie Black Women aren't always like that. They're funky, indifferent, bi, and they aren't obsessed with proving their femininity. They aren't militant. To be honest if you're ignorant you'll probably think they're boring. They were their hair natural, nothing fake about them.

But you have to get the genuine deal. A lot of fake natural Black women out there.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:20 AM

45 posts, read 101,962 times
You will be fine.. I'm from richmond (Black Male) and I met my wife when she was living in DC (Brazilian)

We now live in what I would consider a very rural county(caroline) and probably the last along I-95 that hasn't had the housing boom

we have been living here 4 yrs and have never had an issue despite that we have yet to see another interracial couple

Old 07-07-2015, 11:12 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quanva View Post
You will be fine.. I'm from richmond (Black Male) and I met my wife when she was living in DC (Brazilian)
Well done, sir...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia