Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 01:53 PM

16 posts, read 27,213 times

Advertisements

Relocated to NOVA not that long ago and will be working out of DC. I figured the cost of living would be high but i didn't believe it would be this high.

I get paid about 56k per year + OT. after taxes i'll be left with a min. of 42K + what ever extra income i get from OT and my side gig which usually pays me about 5-7K per year after taxes . I was wondering if i am stretching for a 1 Bdrm Apt in arlington that costs $1419 per month w/o utilities that i have already been approved for. I have considered a roommate but don't really want to pursue that route as i have a GF who more than likely will be moving in with me in 4-6 months. I know people say you shouldn't spend more than 30% of your income on housing but with it being so expensive in this area i was wondering do people always follow that guideline.

Expense List:

Monthly Net Income: $3,558.94 (W/O any side gig income)

Rent: $1419
Electric: $70
Water: $20
Trash: $15
Cable/Internet: $50 (Must have high speed internet, if i can get cable too for 50 i'll take it but it isn't a must)

Phone Bill: $81

Car Payment: $190
Insurance: On parents policy
Gas: $100 (This is generous i don't plan on driving much esp over 800 miles per month)
Public Transit: $100

Health & Dental Insurance: $80
Gym membership: $50

Food: $250 (May seem low to some but I cook everyday and never eat out, this is deff accurate for me)

Misc Expenses: $100
Clothes: $50

Total: 2,575

If this is correct that will leave me with a guaranteed $983.95 left for saving/leisure. If i save no less than $300 per month that will leave me with $683.95 to live life with, which is still a generous figure. Not even including any income i'd be making from my side gig, which would automatically go to savings.

I have lived by myself for the last 3 years paying rent/utilities/and all of the above. However, I never really created a budget and i don't even know how much money i actually require to just "live and have fun" after bills. Now i have graduated college and it's time to prepare a little better.

Does this sound doable or am i stretching too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 02:56 PM

99 posts, read 120,598 times
The guidance of not spending more than 30% does not work in the DC area. I would ditch the cable unless absolutely necessary. The building also doesn't have a fitness center? Your public transport will also likely be higher, unless your employer has a transit subsidy. A 1 bedroom for $1400 is on the low end pricewise.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:09 PM

16 posts, read 27,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etsmaca View Post
The guidance of not spending more than 30% does not work in the DC area. I would ditch the cable unless absolutely necessary. The building also doesn't have a fitness center? Your public transport will also likely be higher, unless your employer has a transit subsidy. A 1 bedroom for $1400 is on the low end pricewise.
I figured a $100 was sufficient. Do you know how much it would cost to run the metro to/from pentagon city to L'Enfant 5 days a week?

Old 03-06-2015, 03:24 PM

99 posts, read 120,598 times
ah actually you should be fine with $100.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:44 PM

406 posts, read 621,280 times
Seems like you have yourself organized and should be able to handle the budget. Free parking?

Old 03-06-2015, 07:22 PM

239 posts, read 282,495 times
Get a roommate for the summer. I'm sure a sublet is available until your GF comes and helps you out with a 1BR. 40% of take home is very uncomfortable.

DC has a large nightlife that caters to singles or dating people like yourself. Unless you already come from a place with a large nightlife, I imagine you'll be eating out a lot more often. Plus you didn't leave anything in there for retirement. Yes, retirement!

If your employers offers a pretax transit account, take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia