Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 07:29 AM

22 posts, read 26,718 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I posted in another forum and got some good advice, but would like to post a thread just to see if I can get some more opinions.

I'm going to have employment in Crystal City at some point in the next month or so. I've done an internship at the employer before and stayed in Rockville, MD. I didn't like that commuting experience much so I'd like to find a place in NoVA.

My info is as follows:
* married w/ two kids (one in elementary and one younger)
* I'd like to budget ~$1500 for a 3 bdrm
* I won't have a car for the first 3 months and will be sharing a car with my wife after, so being close to public transportation is a must
* I don't mind a long commute, but would rather have something that goes direct to Crystal City rather than making several transfers
* Prefer to be close to a natural area such as a Wildlife Refuge

On my own, I've sort of zeroed in on several places near the Woodbridge and Rippon VRE stations. A few folks have told me that some of the areas near these aren't so safe. A nice person on the forums here mentioned East Lake Ridge as another option, but because I cannot be there physically to look for rentals I've been looking mostly at apt. complexes.

Please advise if there are other neighborhoods in NoVA that I should be considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 08:17 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,720,330 times
Some parts of Rippon Landing are fine (the newer parts). The older townhomes and apartments are old and run down and filled with renters who can be very transient and just don't care. My father in law, just sold his very old townhouse there because he kept getting screwed over by low-life tenants and it happened time after time. I don't think those are the people you want to be living around, correct?

$1500 for a 3 bdrm is going to be tough. I think it's doable but you will be sacrificing your "quality." Also, in areas where the cost is at that point, you will also be looking at not-so-great schools.

I would agree with the Lake Ridge area. I would also try looking in Montclair, which has a Dumfries address but is technically in Woodbridge (straddles Woodbridge and Dumfries). It is a very nice little community, totally safe, feeds into good schools, and PRTC busses come right into the neighborhood and will get you into DC/Crystal City so you could walk to the bus stop.

Not sure that you can find a 3 BDRM rental, though, for $1500. Well, maybe you can. See below. I would not hesitate to move into that neighborhood. I've always liked it.

Both Montclair and parts of Lake Ridge are very natural looking and are very close to park-type settings.

Here are some links:

http://www.homes.com/property/15307-...-400028070632/

http://www.homes.com/property/15362-...-400028083027/

Old 03-08-2015, 08:28 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,373,615 times
^ Montclair is a good suggestion. We used to live near there in the Ashland community. It covers a lot of what you are looking for. It is right next to a Prince William Forest Park, a National Forest.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:25 PM

318 posts, read 369,253 times
You need a time machine or magician

Old 03-08-2015, 01:26 PM

9 posts, read 10,673 times
Agreed, price might be difficult, but Montclair is a great neighborhood, the wholes Woodbridge and Lakeridge area is nice and easy, but somewhat long, commutes. Took me an hour and half into DC when I lived in Dumfries, that was driving or taking the bus.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:30 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,720,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaverteam View Post
Agreed, price might be difficult, but Montclair is a great neighborhood, the wholes Woodbridge and Lakeridge area is nice and easy, but somewhat long, commutes. Took me an hour and half into DC when I lived in Dumfries, that was driving or taking the bus.
Probably going to be much better now with the HOT lanes, although never underestimate how many stops the bus makes once it goes local. They often stop at commuter lots prior to getting into the neighborhoods, but some of the buses are "express" from the neighborhood. Looks like Omniride is estimating an hour to an hour 15 minutes to the Pentagon.

OP, there is no direct bus from Montclair to Crystal City. There are definitely buses that go there, but you may have to get to a commute lot for that. Looks like the Lake Ridge and Dale City lines go to Crystal City.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:52 PM

Thanks for all the advice!!! I guess I have to choose between a shifty cheap neighborbood with a short commute or a nice expensive neighborhood with a longer commute. C'est la vie!

Old 04-10-2015, 10:34 AM

Thanks again for all the advice! I have a follow up comment / question:
As I stated initially, I won't have a car for the first couple of months and thus would try to find a place near public transit.

Looking at Lake Ridge, there would be about on hour on PRTC to Crystal City once I walk or bus to the hub.
From Montclair, there would be a little more than an hour.

But the VRE ride from say, Stafford's Burke station is also an hour. Ditto for Manassas. I'm just wondering if these too would be good places for a small family to live? Stafford at least seems to have good schools and I think we could get more for our $ there.

Thanks in advance for any opinions on the matter.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:43 AM

274 posts, read 350,349 times
Stafford you would get more for your money. Manassas area you need to check the schools. If you go just a little further out in Bristow/Gainesville you have great schools. Nice community feel as well and you are away from traffic on 95 that is in Stafford, once you get your car.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:55 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,548,273 times
Screw the bus, I would take VRE (www.vre.org) straight to Crystal City. With that budget, I would be looking around Stafford County. A monthly pass on VRE is about $267 from Stafford to Crystal City though so hopefully your employer offers transit benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia