Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 02:58 AM

86 posts, read 107,981 times

Advertisements

With all of the military working in the Pentagon and other parts of NOVA, does the Burke/Springfield area tend to be very transient? What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 04:47 AM

526 posts, read 900,485 times
Even though there is a lot of military here, it's not the majority of the population. Plus military here are likely to be here longer, on average, than in other places. Sure, there are plenty of military and Burke/West Springfield has probably a relatively high percentage of them but it's not that huge a percentage by a long shot.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:59 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
I don't think it's any more transient than anywhere else. Military families usually move about every two years, which is actually not that transient. I think I read somewhere that most Americans move every few years. Overall, areas with middle-class families are less transient than places with lower income people, and Burke is solidly middle class family territory, so I think that outweighs any slight increase in transiency from military.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:20 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
I think it probably depends on your point of reference. If your point of reference is other NoVA communities, no, I don't think it is significantly more transient than anywhere else. Probably on the lower side for the area simply because it's an area with a lot of SFHs that people tend to buy more than rent and I think owners are generally less transient than renters. However, if your point of reference is, say, a small or mid-sized town in the Midwest or even someplace like suburban Philadelphia, then, yes, it's probably going to seem pretty transient. Compared to places like that, you're going to find more folks who are only here for a few years or who have moved here from somewhere else and are trying to find a job in a cheaper locale - but, I think that can be said about NoVA in general, not just Burke or Springfield.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:17 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
A lot of native Northern Virginians live in Burke so no.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
For fun, I looked up the property records of the street I grew up on in Burke. 48 SFH's built in 1985. (plus several little courts that would be a pain to look up so I'm skipping)

8 original owners still (most of whom I know).
15 owners have been there at least 20 years.
Median sale date is 2002.
3 homes sold within the past 3 years.
My mom sold and moved in 2010 after 25 years.

Of course I have no idea what the rental situation looks like now, but I would say the street isn't very transient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia