Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:54 AM

86 posts, read 108,277 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I will be moving to Burke Centre in a few weeks. For those that are employeed in downtown D.C., how do you commute each day to work? I see that the 18P Metro bus goes to the Pentagon where you can connect to the Yellow Rush rail to head downtown. I also know that the VRE will take you right downtown. What do you find to be most convenient? I'll be living closer to a Metrobus stop than the VRE station so walking to the bus stop is an option.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 12:30 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany2DC View Post
Hello everyone,

I will be moving to Burke Centre in a few weeks. For those that are employeed in downtown D.C., how do you commute each day to work? I see that the 18P Metro bus goes to the Pentagon where you can connect to the Yellow Rush rail to head downtown. I also know that the VRE will take you right downtown. What do you find to be most convenient? I'll be living closer to a Metrobus stop than the VRE station so walking to the bus stop is an option.

Thanks.
Where are you going in DC? If it's not walkable from Union Station, you'd be transferring to a Metro anyway.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:26 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,535,509 times
If it's walkable from L'Enfant Plaza or Union Station, VRE. If not, metro bus to train.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:43 PM

Did the walk from my work to Union Station today. It's a little over a half a mile and took me a little more than 15 mins with all the stop lights, crosswalks, and then navigting through the crowd at Union Station to the VRE gate. Taking the Metro to/from Union Station is only going to make the trip more expensive so I'm thinking that the Metrobus to Pentagon to Yellow Rush is going to be a better option both financially and timewise.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:53 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,535,509 times
I would just use VRE if I were you. Monthly pass on VRE is $214 from Burke to DC. Fares on Metro between the bus and train would be about $236 a month. Taking metro, you would have to transfer twice whereas you have a one seat ride from Burke to DC on VRE. Also VRE is cleaner, more comfortable, and more reliable.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:04 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,322,567 times
Kind of the perfect situation really. Do VRE most days, and in the emergency case where you have to come home early, take metro to mid-day bus. Its one reason why the Rolling Road part of Burke is having a bit of a renaissance; people are realizing that VRE is a good option too.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I would just use VRE if I were you. Monthly pass on VRE is $214 from Burke to DC. Fares on Metro between the bus and train would be about $236 a month. Taking metro, you would have to transfer twice whereas you have a one seat ride from Burke to DC on VRE. Also VRE is cleaner, more comfortable, and more reliable.
Hi and thanks for your response. I did the math and Metro actually comes out cheaper when you factor in my employer's transit subsidy and the fact that I'll be able to telework one day a week. I've never been on the VRE but I have heard about its comfort, cleanliness and reliability however to save a few bucks more per month, I'd sacrifice that to ride on the Metro.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Kind of the perfect situation really. Do VRE most days, and in the emergency case where you have to come home early, take metro to mid-day bus. Its one reason why the Rolling Road part of Burke is having a bit of a renaissance; people are realizing that VRE is a good option too.
Is there really a mid-day bus to Burke? The earliest bus I saw that heads out that way is at 3:35pm (18P from Pentagon). Checked the FFX Connector and didn't see anything either.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:22 PM

97 posts, read 113,376 times
Lots of folks slug in too from Burke/Springfield as another option

Old 04-11-2015, 06:20 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,112,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany2DC View Post
Hi and thanks for your response. I did the math and Metro actually comes out cheaper when you factor in my employer's transit subsidy and the fact that I'll be able to telework one day a week. I've never been on the VRE but I have heard about its comfort, cleanliness and reliability however to save a few bucks more per month, I'd sacrifice that to ride on the Metro.
The VRE is also subsidized by the federal government for federal employees. Same system (thru commuter direct). I used to ride the VRE from Burke station and with subsidy it was about $160 a month (vs $200+). Don't discount the transition times from bus to metro. Although an option, it adds another ten to 15 min to commute. Few min walk from bus, few minutes waiting for metro, adds up.

The VRE from Burke is nice. Parking is free, and available. Almost always a seat and its a smooth ride. The riders you meet waiting for the morning VRE are the happiest and friendly compared to other commuter transition points. People who aren't rushed, drinking coffee, and waiting on predictable clean transportation are pleasant. Many networking opportunities have also risen out of those opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia