Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:24 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,422,697 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I like warm, pretty water! I am a single 43 year old mom with an eight year old child. I don't do night life and my son likes an active boardwalk, nice sand and waves. He has only been to several SoCal beaches (which are cold) and Texas beaches...I just like to play and watch him...

The quotes I received from vrbo were $600/7 night minimum. Do any of you have other more affordable suggestions?

I will have my parents and two other people visiting.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 AM

6,568 posts, read 8,416,918 times
FWIW: I do not consider the water in the Atlantic pretty or warm. When I think of pretty water, I think of the Gulf of Mexico or the Caribbean.

Lodging in VA Beach is expensive so I think the price is about right. If you're splitting the cost of the house three ways, then $200 a night is about what you should expect for VA Beach. I've always enjoyed VA Beach but I've never been to Ocean City so I don't have an opinion on that either way.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:14 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,497,327 times
If you can go a little farther south I prefer North Carolina to VA beach though I have never noticed a boardwalk.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,320,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
FWIW: I do not consider the water in the Atlantic pretty or warm. When I think of pretty water, I think of the Gulf of Mexico or the Caribbean.

Lodging in VA Beach is expensive so I think the price is about right. If you're splitting the cost of the house three ways, then $200 a night is about what you should expect for VA Beach. I've always enjoyed VA Beach but I've never been to Ocean City so I don't have an opinion on that either way.
I agree, usually not warm. Although last summer on our annual OBX trip we stayed in Frisco for the first time, which is all the way at the bottom(southern point) of Hatteras Island. The way the bottom of the island juts out into the ocean, the water there is significantly warmer than elsewhere in OBX. It was pretty cool(or should I say warm)!

Old 04-13-2015, 09:52 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,535,059 times
The east coast is about 2,000 miles along so there are definitely very warm parts of the Atlantic.

I lived in North Carolina for about 11 years and we pretty much always went to Atlantic Beach and Carolina Beach. They are both warmer than OBX and Virginia Beach and both have boardwalks. The downside is you have to drive further though.

Outer Banks get a little too hyped up IMO.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:55 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,268,683 times
I grew up going to OC, Md and as a parent have done OC and Va Beach. I would recommend VA Beach over OC anyday. I too, like warm water and we have found that the extra drive to Myrtle Beach is well worth it. Tons to do, very warm water and a lot cheaper.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:50 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,320,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
The east coast is about 2,000 miles along so there are definitely very warm parts of the Atlantic.

I lived in North Carolina for about 11 years and we pretty much always went to Atlantic Beach and Carolina Beach. They are both warmer than OBX and Virginia Beach and both have boardwalks. The downside is you have to drive further though.

Outer Banks get a little too hyped up IMO.
Sure, Florida is nice & warm. Most of these warm bodies of water aren't within a reasonable driving distance from here though, which is what most beach conversations in this forum are focused on. I guess reasonable is subjective, but the furthest south I'm going to drive is OBX. Luckily we love OBX. We drove to Hilton Head once, it was brutal, never again.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:27 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,569,041 times
Around Wilmington, NC, late June through mid September, that ocean water can reach 80 degrees, especially if you're kicking back on the western side of the island. It's like bath water, feels great! I should know, I spent nearly 10 years sitting in it many many many moons ago....

Old 04-14-2015, 01:27 PM

109 posts, read 155,888 times
OC is more of a party scene. You'll see more young folks getting wasted. Va Beach is more families. Hotel prices are about the same. Im 42 qnd I prefer Va Beach anyday

Old 04-14-2015, 02:54 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,007,781 times
I would recommend Rehoboth instead. It has a great little boardwalk and is a short drive to OC. We rented a small home there for a week for a reasonable price. found it on tripadvisor or vrbo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia