Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,466 times

Advertisements

I need advice. We have no commercial van, & no logo but receiving harassing letters from HOA! We live in a single family home in GA with our own driveway and moved in 99 so no commercial vehicle is listed in the bi-laws. Over a year ago I had a commercial van with logo, however, trying to work with the homeowners association, we were able to get the company I work for give us a tiny white van, which is smaller than the family van which belongs to my wife and it has NO logo. It cant park it in the garage because it is just a bit too high to fit. Plus we have already parked my pick-up truck in there as we do not use it everyday, my daughter uses that and we received letters threatening to tow that away from our driveway. Now are receiving harrasing letters from the Association for the tiny van. I checked the registration of the car & its classification from the state registration is a "passenger car / light truck". On top of all this, I have been traveling and have not been home in over a month. But this has not stopped them as we still received a letter today claiming they will be charging us. I work for a company that is out of state, so there is no other place to park it. I really can't get any smaller a vehicle than this and it is used as a my primary vehicle. We have been receiving harrasing letters from the Association with claims of violations that do not even exist since HOA President was elected several yrs ago. E.g. hose in front yard when there was no hose. We have cameras now, therefore we have been able to submit pictures to them and this has really helped with the harassing letters, and they stopped for a bit! They stopped because we can document when work was done in the yard or submit pics of neat flower beds (no weeds), & mowed yard with a time/date stamped on it. But now the letters have restarted! PS. When new postitions for the HOA board comes up, no position for President is listed. Plz help!

Last edited by No commercial vehicle; 04-16-2015 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:55 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,105,941 times
Maybe better in the Georgia forum, but I would tell the HOA to pound sand. Is this why the streets around here are littered with vans, trucks, and taxis?

Old 04-17-2015, 05:11 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,509,087 times
It sounds like you need to go to some board meetings. The President and Board members probably do not all come up for election at the same time. It is probably staggered.

To me it sounds like you are using a commercial vehicle? But that the board may be oppressive and busy bodies.

I am not sure because when you spend so much time telling us that you should not have a commercial vehicle but there is no way they should know that your commercial vehicle is a commercial vehicle I have a hard time trusting anything else.

Good luck though.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:46 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,360,623 times
Does it have ladders or commercial racks on it? I used to live in an HoA that didn't allow these.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:54 AM

18,361 posts, read 26,566,327 times
Your real problem is living somewhere with an HOA.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:06 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,789,867 times
Parking commercial vehicles in a residential neighborhood can also get you into trouble with the county. In Fairfax County, it is illegal to park many commercial vehicles in a residential neighborhood and those restrictions are even greater if your neighborhood is designated a community parking district. Most boats and trailers are also prohibited under these rules.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:39 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,465,324 times
First of all - line breaks please.

Second of all, how is this a "tiny" van if it is too tall to fit in your garage?

Third, if you live in Georgia why are you posting in NoVa forum?

Fourth, how is this vehicle is something your work has provided you with for your work, but is not a commercial vehicle?

Old 04-17-2015, 06:56 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,203,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

Fourth, how is this vehicle is something your work has provided you with for your work, but is not a commercial vehicle?
Exactly. Read the HOA documents. If it just says "commercial", you have a commercial van. If it specifically references logos, you may have a valid argument.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:05 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,187,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

How is that a problem. I prefer to live in a neighborhood that does not always look like it is under construction due to work trucks all over the place. The solution is to leave the truck at work.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:36 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,203,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
How is that a problem.
Oh, let's please not let this turn into a HOA vs. non-HOA thread. There are plenty on them over in the Real Estate sub-forum.

Some people love HOAs, some people hate them. There are valid reasons to pick either side. The important thing is that no one ever has to choose an HOA if they don't want one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: