Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:28 AM

15,446 posts, read 25,881,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Until another handshake deal alters or negates the previous handshake deal.
That's what I've been saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Those "ignorant" (maybe you meant "arrogant"?) Arlingtonians are pretty much the most well-educated and most literate denizens of the U.S. If they're paying an exorbitant premium for housing to live closer to the urban core and reduce their carbon footprints, then why SHOULD they be supportive of something that will be detrimental to their own quality-of-life so people who "don't want to drive 14 miles to Vienna to take the train..." can have an easier time expanding their own carbon footprint? Don't want to drive 14 miles to the train to not have to sit in traffic? Move closer! Period!

I swear sometimes I think JFromReston is the only "outside the Beltway" poster on here who isn't running around in a toga and pounding his chest screaming "CARS RULE! MANIFEST DESTINY!!!"
"Just move closer" is not an acceptable answer when there's nothing affordable there.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 AM

540 posts, read 792,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
"Just move closer" is not an acceptable answer when there's nothing affordable there.
Just build more roads is not an acceptable answer when all that will do is increase the number of single-vehicle commuters to the point where the road chokes up again.

You can only choose two of the three below in this area. Make your choice wisely.

Affordable housing
Good schools
Short commute (*to a job close to DC)

Old 04-24-2015, 09:25 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,539,153 times
Pretty sure a lot, if not most, of the people who are sitting in traffic on 66W between exits 71 and 69 Saturday mid-morning, 6-9 am M-F, and 66E 4-7pm are Arlingtonians.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:43 AM

540 posts, read 792,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Pretty sure a lot, if not most, of the people who are sitting in traffic on 66W between exits 71 and 69 Saturday mid-morning, 6-9 am M-F, and 66E 4-7pm are Arlingtonians.
I will never understand why they decided to do the two spot improvements and left the short stretch of road after the Sycamore exit as two lanes.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
I will never understand why they decided to do the two spot improvements and left the short stretch of road after the Sycamore exit as two lanes.
I think it's because it would no longer be considered a "spot improvement" if the two stretches of third lane were connected and would instead be a widening which of course Arlington reflexively rejects.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Just build more roads is not an acceptable answer when all that will do is increase the number of single-vehicle commuters to the point where the road chokes up again.

You can only choose two of the three below in this area. Make your choice wisely.

Affordable housing
Good schools
Short commute (*to a job close to DC)
I am not on the side of just building more roads. I'm for regional cooperation.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:20 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,756,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Those "ignorant" (maybe you meant "arrogant"?) Arlingtonians are pretty much the most well-educated and most literate denizens of the U.S. If they're paying an exorbitant premium for housing to live closer to the urban core and reduce their carbon footprints, then why SHOULD they be supportive of something that will be detrimental to their own quality-of-life so people who "don't want to drive 14 miles to Vienna to take the train..." can have an easier time expanding their own carbon footprint? Don't want to drive 14 miles to the train to not have to sit in traffic? Move closer! Period!

I swear sometimes I think JFromReston is the only "outside the Beltway" poster on here who isn't running around in a toga and pounding his chest screaming "CARS RULE! MANIFEST DESTINY!!!"
I'm all for transit, but I take issue with this. Not everyone can afford to live in Arlington. I mean I make pretty decent money, but the housing cost (including condos/townhomes) are just out of reach for me. I think this arrogance is what starts these back and forth fights between the outer suburbs and closer in places like Arlington and nothing gets done. You said yourself that you left the area for this main reason for Pittsburgh. A lot of people especially those in government positions can't just leave.

I think we need to take a regional approach to these issues that benefit everyone. If Arlington doesn't like widening of 66, well leaders should pitch an idea that will work for everyone. I was just in Philadelphia this weekend and was impressed with SEPTA's regional rail network. It serves the outer suburbs as far as places like Newark, DE and has train service around the clock. They don't have a lot of large amount of wide freeways. You have to give people options, until then people will continue to drive to places like Arlington and DC from Gainesville and will continue to clog roads and fill Arlington with smog from chronic traffic congestion.

Last edited by e2ksj3; 04-26-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 01:19 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,464,859 times
You might be interested in the concerns of a Vienna resident: Virginians near I-66 see the state

Today's Post also had an article about the current proposal for I66 to become a toll road.

There are communities inside the Beltway that are lower in cost than some outside it. You just have to be willing to make tradeoffs.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:45 AM

Is it even final that 35 people will lose their homes? I seem to remember two different options for the HOT lanes that the officials haven't decided on: (1) Bollards ala 495 HOT lanes or concrete barriers ala 395/95 HOT lanes; (2) Room for future transit in the median. Both of those options affect the required right of way.

I think it should be 4+2+4 as I've previously stated. You can't logically conclude that 95 doesn't need HOT lanes both ways but 66 does. I'm not sure about a median for future transit. As cynical as I am, I highly doubt I'll see an Orange Line extension in my lifetime.

Also, Arlington has tentatively agreed to a HOT lanes deal on 66 inside the beltway:
Quote:
I-66 would be converted to a toll road inside the Capital Beltway, with carpoolers riding free. The tolls — tens of millions worth — would be channeled to just the types of Metro, bus, bike and pedestrian improvements that county officials have long argued are the best way to move growing numbers of people.

Then, after giving those ­changes a chance to work, state and local officials would analyze how the package of tolling, tighter carpool restrictions and transit improvements have affected congestion on I-66. Depending on what the numbers show, plans for expansion could then be considered, Layne said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...ada_story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia