Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 05:08 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,002 times

Advertisements

We have a 10 year old female cat that needs to find a new home (kid allergies / asthma). Sweet indoor cat that is fully home acclimated. Doesn't like other female cats, but loves male cats. Fixed and everything (not declawed, but not a problem). She needs a loving new home. Anyone know who we could call? Not interested in "shelters".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 03:57 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
You can list her on rescueme.org and adopt her out privately/directly. That way you can screen the adoptive "parents" yourself to ensure she's going to a good home. That's where we found our dog.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 AM

194 posts, read 400,573 times
She's TEN. Can't you see this through to the end? (there are meds for kids allergies). It would be very difficult for you to re home an elderly cat unless (as you mentioned) you relinquish her to a shelter.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:18 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieDC View Post
She's TEN. Can't you see this through to the end? (there are meds for kids allergies). It would be very difficult for you to re home an elderly cat unless (as you mentioned) you relinquish her to a shelter.
She could live another 5 years. That's a long time to pump allergy meds into kids.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:43 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
My cat lived to 24.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:16 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieDC View Post
Java, OP is posting HERE of all places... don't think she's gonna see the kitty through. Poor cat.

OP, suggest doing an online search for an appropriate cat rescue in your area like everyone else does who chooses give relinquish a pet. Northern VA is a large area and there are plenty of rescues to help you. The rescue will make sure the cat finds a good home... with no allergies...

Old 04-22-2015, 04:46 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,637 times
4PAWS rescue in Fairfax County. Great organization.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:28 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,125 times
If you adopted your cat from a rescue group, you may have a contractual obligation to return the cat to that group if you are not going to keep him/her.

See also:

Giving Up a Pet « Homeward Trails Animal Rescue | Pet Adoption in VA, DC, MD

"If you absolutely must give your pet up and are not able to keep your pet in your home while finding him/her a new home, you should contact Homeward Trails as well as other local rescue groups. Please note that we, like most rescues, are usually full and have few open slots to take in relinquished pets. We will make every effort to help you, but cannot guarantee an open slot. If you adopted your pet from Homeward Trails, we will take the animal back, as mandated by our Adoption Contract. If your pet was not adopted from Homeward Trails, we will try to secure a foster home or boarding spot for your pet. We will often require a nominal donation to help offset boarding costs if we agree to take your pet into boarding and we will require that your pet be current on vaccines and spayed/neutered. Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis. To relinquish a dog, contact surrenderdog@homewardtrails.org. To relinquish a cat, please contact surrendercat@homewardtrails.org. If we agree to take your animal into our program, you will be required to sign a Relinquishment Form."

Old 04-23-2015, 04:28 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
She could live another 5 years. That's a long time to pump allergy meds into kids.
My wife is still on allergy meds. The kids will be fine.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
My wife is still on allergy meds. The kids will be fine.
I'll weigh in on both sides here.

I'm a HUGE pet lover and I am pretty much against "rehoming" animals unless it is the most serious of cases. Cats especially are pretty hard to rehome. There's just too many of them. Who really wants to take a 10 year old cat. Your best bet is to find some kind friend or relative to take pity on you.

That said, I am severely allergic to cats. To the point of feeling like I can't breathe. I also feel horrible on allergy meds. I have allergies (mild these days) but feel awful on Zyrtec, Benadryl, etc. and could not live like that every day. But everyone is different.

My son has severe allergies to just about everything (so far he's good with horses--go figure) and asthma and has been on Zyrtec daily since he was about 8 years old. He feels no side effects from it. He is allergic to both cats and dogs but chooses to live with it and works at a dog daycare part time. But he's 20 and it's his choice at this point.

When he was younger and having asthma attacks and was miserable, as a parent, I would have been really torn about doing anything to exacerbate his already bad allergies, much less need to add or increase medications.

It's a very hard situation to be in and I'm sure the child isn't happy about parting with his/her pet either. I know it would have been an awful situation if we had to experience it.

I am a real animal lover/advocate but I am also an cat-allergy sufferer and it is MISERABLE to live like that. I really don't expect the OP is going to have much luck finding a place for this cat and I feel bad about that.

What I would probably do is give the allergy meds (like Zyrtec) a try and see how it works before I would make a final decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: