Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 AM

13 posts, read 17,232 times

Advertisements

My family may be relocating to Northern VA for a job opportunity. I am getting overwhelmed with the number of cities/suburbs in the area to look at, so I'm hoping you can help me narrow it down a bit. We are a family of four (plus a pug), moving from the suburbs of St. Louis. We currently live in a desirable area with excellent schools, close shopping, little to no crime, about an hour outside the city (which we never go to unless the Cardinals are playing...go Cards!)

My husband will be working in Ashburn. I would love some direction on where to look that would not be a horrendous commute for him. We have nine year old twin girls, so a safe community with excellent schools is top priority. Nightlife is not something that we particularly care about, though we do like to go out to eat, go to the movies, parks, close shopping is a plus (Target, Kohls, Costco, grocery store...we don't need anything super fancy), and we go to the library A LOT.

We would prefer a single family home with a bit of a yard for the girls and the dog to play in, but a townhouse or condo would be ok if there is a garage and a bit of yard along with it. The rows and rows of townhouses that I have seen online do not really appeal to us, but if that is going to be our best option, we will certainly look into it. The housing costs in VA are triple what we are used to.

Some areas I have looked at....which should I stay away from? Any not on the list that I should look into?

Ashburn
Leesburg
Purcellville
Round Hill
Aldie
Reston
Sterling
Centreville
Haymarket/Gainesville
Charles Town, WV (I read that there is no shopping nearby though)
The area around Frederick, MD

Is the area around Dulles Airport a safe area?
Does anyone have a particular elementary school that you are in love with?

Thank you in advance for any information you can help with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 AM

15,154 posts, read 27,842,757 times
Read the Northern Virginia Forum and then if you still have questions, ask there

https://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/

Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 AM

Default Possible move to Northern VA

My family may be relocating to Northern VA for a job opportunity. I am getting overwhelmed with the number of cities/suburbs in the area to look at, so I'm hoping you can help me narrow it down a bit. We are a family of four (plus a pug), moving from the suburbs of St. Louis. We currently live in a desirable area with excellent schools, close shopping, little to no crime, about an hour outside the city (which we never go to unless the Cardinals are playing...go Cards!)

My husband will be working in Ashburn. I would love some direction on where to look that would not be a horrendous commute for him. We have nine year old twin girls, so a safe community with excellent schools is top priority. Nightlife is not something that we particularly care about, though we do like to go out to eat, go to the movies, parks, close shopping is a plus (Target, Kohls, Costco, grocery store...we don't need anything super fancy), and we go to the library A LOT.

We would prefer a single family home with a bit of a yard for the girls and the dog to play in, but a townhouse or condo would be ok if there is a garage and a bit of yard along with it. The rows and rows of townhouses that I have seen online do not really appeal to us, but if that is going to be our best option, we will certainly look into it. The housing costs in VA are triple what we are used to.

Some areas I have looked at....which should I stay away from? Any not on the list that I should look into?

Ashburn
Leesburg
Purcellville
Round Hill
Aldie
Reston
Sterling
Centreville
Haymarket/Gainesville
Charles Town, WV (I read that there is no shopping nearby though)
The area around Frederick, MD

Is the area around Dulles Airport a safe area?
Does anyone have a particular elementary school that you are in love with?

Thank you in advance for any information you can help with!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:31 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,463,329 times
And, when you re-post, be sure to include your housing budget. People really can't give you advice without having an idea of your price range.

Best of luck.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:54 AM

167 posts, read 163,031 times
You could also look in Chantilly, VA. It is just up Route 28 from Centreville. Assuming your husband will have the typical 9-5 job, I would look for a home 10-15 miles from work. Traffic is not great and it is getting worse. I think most of the places you listed are that close with the exception of maybe Haymarket/Gainesville or Charles Town, WV. Mapquest directions from Ashburn to these individual places to give you a good idea how far away they are.

Our kids went to Cub Run Elem, Stone Middle, and Westfield High School. We were happy with them, but are they the best, not sure. A realtor should be able to help you out.

On a side note, my dad was from New Melle, MO, a suburb of St Louis as well. While I may have grown up here (VA), my team was the Cardinals (Gibson, Brock to mention a few).
Good luck house hunting.

Craig

Old 04-29-2015, 12:05 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,407,639 times
I think Chantilly is a good choice to keep in your back pocket so to speak, my only objection would be living off of 28 would probably be a nightmare.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:06 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,162,275 times
What is your housing budget?

Old 04-29-2015, 12:40 PM

We are hoping to stay around 400-450K.

I will check out Chantilly as well. I'm assuming an hour communte is realistic for most of these locations? Mapquest is so hit or miss since you can never guess with traffic. I have heard double the miles to get an estimate on travel time? (20 miles would be 40 min)

Old 04-29-2015, 12:44 PM

529 posts, read 751,893 times
I just got this email from NVHomes earlier today....

These are the areas closer to Ashburn. You may want to try.

Town Center Living
ARCOLA CENTER
Premier town center community a short walk to shops and dining. Only 4 homesites remaining! From the upper $400s
GPS Address: 24636 Malibu Terrace, Dulles, VA 20166

Master Planned Community
VIRGINIA MANOR TOWNHOMES
Master-planned community offering mountain views, a pool and more. Only 1 homesite remaining! From the low $400s
GPS Address: 26014 Huntwick Glen Square, Aldie, VA 20105

VIRGINIA MANOR SINGLES
Wooded homesites with gorgeous mountain view. From the upper $500s
GPS Address: 25748 Racing Sun Drive, Aldie, VA 20105

LOUDOUN CROSSING
Amenity-filled community surrounded by trees. From the upper $500s
GPS Address: 41533 Arlington Oaks Drive, Aldie, VA 20105

Last edited by LuvVA; 04-29-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 12:46 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,192,695 times
Two similar threads have been merged together for convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia