Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:11 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,492,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I'm a ma'am and I'm always up for getting edumacated. Imma go reflect now.
Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 02:20 PM

504 posts, read 1,213,172 times
Well... it was a good show but getting out was a mess all the way around.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:08 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,433,521 times
We were at the Culpeper airport where most of the planes, minus the big bombers, took off. Wow! We were able to stand at the chain link fence at the end of the runway where they all came down, stopped, then turned and went over to the runway and took off. It was amazing! They just kept on coming, almost an hour till all were airborn, then some flew over as they took off for formation. I feel I saw a better view of these planes that some saw down town. It was amazing.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:51 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
The wife and I are going to take a ride aboard FiFi (the B-29 bomber) this summer. I can hardly wait!

Old 05-08-2015, 07:57 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,905 times
I made a spur of the moment decision this morning to go downtown for the flyover after seeing the Post's guide to the event and how many planes were participating. Glad I went; it was quite a sight (and I've been to a couple of major commercial aerospace shows with military flight demonstrations). The effect of the flyover was slightly lessened by the fact that there were some long gaps between a few of the formations. Other than one wave of P-51 Mustangs that really seemd to be hightailing it, the most impressive sights, for me at least, were the bombers such as the B-25s (Doolittle raid), B-17s, and a lone B-29. And I don't know why, but the PBY Catalina flying boat has always been one of my favorites. The final formation with the missing man salute got a lot of applause from the crowd.

What struck me was how, in comparison with modern military aircraft, these World War II era planes flew so slowly. And I also had to reflect on the courage of the airmen who flew those planes during the war, such as those B-17 crews who were lucky to survive their 25 assigned missions before rotating out. Hats off to the Greatest Generation; sad to see them fading from the scene.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:02 AM

152 posts, read 180,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
I made a spur of the moment decision this morning to go downtown for the flyover after seeing the Post's guide to the event and how many planes were participating. Glad I went; it was quite a sight (and I've been to a couple of major commercial aerospace shows with military flight demonstrations). The effect of the flyover was slightly lessened by the fact that there were some long gaps between a few of the formations. Other than one wave of P-51 Mustangs that really seemd to be hightailing it, the most impressive sights, for me at least, were the bombers such as the B-25s (Doolittle raid), B-17s, and a lone B-29. And I don't know why, but the PBY Catalina flying boat has always been one of my favorites. The final formation with the missing man salute got a lot of applause from the crowd.

What struck me was how, in comparison with modern military aircraft, these World War II era planes flew so slowly. And I also had to reflect on the courage of the airmen who flew those planes during the war, such as those B-17 crews who were lucky to survive their 25 assigned missions before rotating out. Hats off to the Greatest Generation; sad to see them fading from the scene.
We took our boat up to watch, and agree with the comments above. Our infant granddaughter was onboard and we were worried about the noise in advance, and the planes really weren't that loud as they passed overhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia