Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,371 times

Advertisements

I respect Carlingtonian because at least he owns up to driving too fast and doesn't make excuses. "It's hard to drive the speed limit with todays cars" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. If you don't agree w the speed limit fine it's your opinion, but don't pretend you're forced to speed excessively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 09:24 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,143,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I respect Carlingtonian because at least he owns up to driving too fast and doesn't make excuses. "It's hard to drive the speed limit with todays cars" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. If you don't agree w the speed limit fine it's your opinion, but don't pretend you're forced to speed excessively.
Remember when the speedo in cars used to max out at 85mph? When you saw the old speedo "wrap" around and peg at 85mph, you realized that was faster than the posted speed limit. Visually it helped see where lines were being crossed where now its difficult in some cars to discern 75 and 65. Realize that a porsche suv won't sell as well with a frumpy speedo...

Old 06-09-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Remember when the speedo in cars used to max out at 85mph? When you saw the old speedo "wrap" around and peg at 85mph, you realized that was faster than the posted speed limit. Visually it helped see where lines were being crossed where now its difficult in some cars to discern 75 and 65. Realize that a porsche suv won't sell as well with a frumpy speedo...
I don't buy it. Sounds like another excuse to justify speeding. If that's really the case then maybe you should get a frumpy car for day to day use and only use your McLaren F-1 for special occasions.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:45 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,114 times
Quote:
Today's cars have cruise control. It's super easy to keep it at 55-65 in today's cars.
Well, I looked. I'm shocked to see I have it on my car. It's a manual transmission! I wonder if it only works if I have it in the top (lowest revving) gear. That would be bad for the engine going up a hilll (lugging the engine) or downhill (in which case the car will accelerate if you don't downshift or brake). I still think it's a bad idea in heavy traffic.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:05 PM

15 posts, read 18,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Again, I disagree. My example using Deer is a perfect example. An inexperienced driver has a much better chance of avoiding a Deer compared to someone driving at a much higher speed. Sometimes the experience of the driver plays no role. I'm trained in high speed driving and have been involved in pursuits that you wouldn't believe actually occurred. (Back in the old days) I've stayed up on high speed training at a federal facility training facility with some excellent defensive driving instructors for the LE world. This is out in the country and these guys, with their training, also hit Deer. You can be what you believe is the best driver in the US but you can't account for the unexpected no matter how good you are.
Again you missed the point. I am not saying drivers should blindly speed eveywhere. Part or being a good driver is appreciate each situation on the road and adjust the speed. No good driver takes an exit ramp at 70mph and you really don't need a speed limit to enforce it. They just slow down because they know it would be dangerous not to.
Similarly, using your Deer example, good drivers should be aware that they are passing an area with overpopulation of deer that could be crossing the road and they should slow down. Proper signalization would suffice to alert the drivers. No need for a speed limit.
But again, limiting speed in dangerous areas is not what I am against. I don't have a major issue with that. Even the Autobahn is not free for all everywhere. You'll find speed limits in construction areas etc...

What I really have a problem with is limiting the speed by default like we do here. There are many highways where it is perfectly safe to go 80 and over.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:34 PM

15 posts, read 18,720 times
Quote:
What I meant by this is that modern cars are so quiet and stable at high speed that it is hard to realize that you are even going over 65mph. If you have driven a much older car you 'd know what I am talking about. With older cars, as soon as you reached 50mph, the car got so loud, the steering wheel got shaky and the car felt so unstable and difficult to control. It was such an uncomfortable ride that you didn't have to do much effort to stay below 50.
With today's cars you have to really fight and pay a lot of attention to your odo to not go over 50.

I am not sure how fast you are driving. But I applaud you if you have never gone over the speed limit.

I go over 65 most of the time. I know where to slow down and where to speed.
Not a single accident in 20 years of driving.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:21 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,143,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpecialOne View Post
Again you missed the point. I am not saying drivers should blindly speed eveywhere. Part or being a good driver is appreciate each situation on the road and adjust the speed. No good driver takes an exit ramp at 70mph and you really don't need a speed limit to enforce it. They just slow down because they know it would be dangerous not to.
Similarly, using your Deer example, good drivers should be aware that they are passing an area with overpopulation of deer that could be crossing the road and they should slow down. Proper signalization would suffice to alert the drivers. No need for a speed limit.
But again, limiting speed in dangerous areas is not what I am against. I don't have a major issue with that. Even the Autobahn is not free for all everywhere. You'll find speed limits in construction areas etc...

What I really have a problem with is limiting the speed by default like we do here. There are many highways where it is perfectly safe to go 80 and over.
Seriously you think the signage is accurate enough to know where the deer do and don't cross roadways? And good drivers who are completely new to an area, say on vacation, will know where the road hazards are based on their general driving experience? Even Nascar drivers getting into accidents involving deer and other drivers. Thankfully there is no major issue of having speed limits in dangerous areas.

This thread has taken a turn but it is eye opening. With so many distracted and inexperienced drivers on the roadways, removing most speed limits won't help the overall attempt to reduce accidents.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:12 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,290,969 times
Quote:

I didn't miss the point but you have. No one can know when the unexpected will happen while driving. The faster you drive the more time you'll need to react to an emergency. Plain and simple. And do you know how those (Deer Warning" signs we see on the side of the road get there? Someone hit a Deer there and VDOT put a sign up. No science to this at all. I believe VDOT has decided to stop putting these signs up as they realize they are basically worthless and you can never predict where a Deer will come from.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:05 AM

Quote:
What I meant by this is that modern cars are so quiet and stable at high speed that it is hard to realize that you are even going over 65mph. If you have driven a much older car you 'd know what I am talking about. With older cars, as soon as you reached 50mph, the car got so loud, the steering wheel got shaky and the car felt so unstable and difficult to control. It was such an uncomfortable ride that you didn't have to do much effort to stay below 50.
With today's cars you have to really fight and pay a lot of attention to your odo to not go over 50.

I am not sure how fast you are driving. But I applaud you if you have never gone over the speed limit.

I go over 65 most of the time. I know where to slow down and where to speed.
Not a single accident in 20 years of driving.
Fair enough, but a highly skilled driver such as yourself should be paying attention to the odometer, as well as all the other gauges and lights on the dash that tell you how the car is operating. I'm not perfect, I do speed sometimes but never more than 5-10 over. I just don't think it's safe to speed excessively especially in a crowded metro area like this. I've said my piece though so I wish you luck out there. Just be careful.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:31 AM

504 posts, read 1,215,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Again, I disagree. My example using Deer is a perfect example. An inexperienced driver has a much better chance of avoiding a Deer compared to someone driving at a much higher speed. Sometimes the experience of the driver plays no role. I'm trained in high speed driving and have been involved in pursuits that you wouldn't believe actually occurred. (Back in the old days) I've stayed up on high speed training at a federal facility training facility with some excellent defensive driving instructors for the LE world. This is out in the country and these guys, with their training, also hit Deer. You can be what you believe is the best driver in the US but you can't account for the unexpected no matter how good you are.
Of course if the deer jumps out of nowhere and darts across, you would have less chance hitting the deer if you are driving slow. However just want to point out that if you try to avoid an object (nail, deer, roadkill, tire debris, etc.), the proper thing to do is to focus on your safe escape route and not the object itself. If the driver stares at or tracks the object, chances are the driver will hit the object.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: