Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 09:56 AM

16 posts, read 25,864 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband recently accepted a job in Tyson's Corner, so we will soon be leaving our home in Tennessee and moving to NoVa. We have 2 small children, 5 and 3, the oldest being autistic. He is in a great preschool here in Knoxville where he gets all of his speech, OT, and ABA. I'm really hoping to find something similar there. We visited recently and fell in love with Broadlands. We found a school that looks fantastic called the Auburn School that is in Chantilly. It is k-8. I'd like for him to have one more year of preschool before kindergarten, so I'm just trying to find out what my options are for him regarding the 2015/2016 school year before he can start at Auburn. I found a great preschool program at the Aurora School in Leesburg, but they are full. Does anyone know of a preschool program for Autistic children, (preferably in the Ashburn area, but I will drive anywhere), where they offer ABA, OT, and speech? I would appreciate ANY input! Also, we are looking at The Boyd School in Broadlands as a possibility for my younger son. It looks great, and if we do get a place in Broadlands, it would certainly be convenient, (especially considering that I will be driving to Chantilly every morning after next year). Does anyone have any feedback on Boyd or even Chesterbrook? Do you know if Mill Run Elementary or Hillside Elementary has an autistic classroom for preschoolers? Lastly, what is your take on Broadlands? Specifically the Belmont Bluff area? Broadlands looks like a fantastic place for young families! Is there anything I should know? Any recommendations for pediatricians, pediatric dentists, etc? Thank you SO much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 12:41 PM

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2015, 09:43 AM

Again, if anyone could offer ANY advice at all, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Old 05-26-2015, 12:29 PM

25 posts, read 36,811 times
The autism learning center in Falls Church.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:32 PM

25 posts, read 36,811 times
Also mainstreaming special needs children is the focus in most Northern Virginia schools. If he's not severely autistic, the school may provide an aid and have him attend regular classes.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:21 PM

239 posts, read 280,741 times
Why not live closer to where you work? Oakton, Vienna, Reston, even Chantilly has many family friendly places. Do not underestimate the level of traffic in NoVa! Living in Broadlands, it's a very steep price to pay to go east/west on the tollway everyday. And taking neighborhood streets (Waxpool Road) to go east/west is going to add significant time to your commute, I'd say 20-30 minutes just to reach Rte 28 from Belmont Ridge in Broadlands, on a good day. Waxpool is riddled with school zones (20mph), bus stop pickups (all traffic must stop), and traffic lights .

I would be wary about placing your bets on Broadlands and thinking your child will go to school at a particular school. The area is still growing (exponentially), and a lot of parents who thought they would be assigned to a certain school are dismayed when the developer adds more housing units, the school becomes full, and your child gets reassigned.

Loudoun County Public Schools is NOT forgiving to parents whose children are relocated when a school is redistricted.

School Board adopts new school zones; many in Brambleton unhappy - The Washington Post

Brambleton Parents Denied Documents, Witness Access In School Boundary Challenge - Leesburg Today Online

Old 05-27-2015, 06:06 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
It's true what Blindside says about school boundaries, but that may be less of a factor for the older child with autism if placed in a specific program.

Tnmomvabound, you should contact the Loudoun County Public Schools' Parent Resource Center for more information about special education. I will caution you, though, that they close for the summer in mid-June and don't re-open until August.

I live in Brambleton and don't have any experience with any of the specific schools you asked about, but I can recommend Capital Area Pediatrics - Ryan Park and NOVA Pediatric Dentistry.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 AM

143 posts, read 122,125 times
My family lives in Ashburn Farm which is the community adjacent to Broadlands. I have a four year old son who is on the spectrum, and I would strongly encourage you to begin the process of entering the Child Find services with Loudoun County schools (Child Find Center / Child Find Center) as soon as you move. Many of the public schools have a special education preschool, but you are not guaranteed to be placed within your home school district. The LCPS Special education resources at least in our experience have been nothing short of amazing. The process takes some time as you will need to go through their screenings and evaluations to determine what services are needed. I imagine if you have an IEP and clinical diagnosis already it might make things move more quickly. I know that Fairfax County is considered by some as the gold standard with providing services for kids on the spectrum, but nothing with my experience in the Loudoun County system has made me consider moving which I would do in a minute if I thought my son wasn't getting the support he needs. As for Broadlands, it is a nice community, safe, and is very young family centric; like most of Ashburn. If you have young kids, this is a good place to live. We moved here from Fairfax to raise our family and haven't regretted it.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 AM

529 posts, read 750,223 times
You can try child find services in Fairfax county too. They have awesome programs for kids with special needs.

You can get more help from the following forum which is mainly for 'Kids with special needs' in NoVa/MD/DC area:

www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/forums/show/36.page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia