Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 06:41 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,515,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Please educate me why I shouldn't have expected her follow the law? I'm sure I did something wrong.
I am not here to educate you on why she should not be expected to follow the law. That is between you and her. But when someone preaches that one group of people should follow the law and then excuse another group of people from having to follow the law I lose interest for their point of view real fast.

I do think it is dangerous to bike in this area. That does not mean I support bike riders who break the laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 06:45 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,234,936 times
Quote:
You're really confusing. Here, you downplay people acting like idiots. I know you don't like to bike around here, but let me tell you it happens every single day to hundreds of bike riders in this area.

Then, you say it's really scary! Yeah, it is. People honking and screaming out their windows at you is really scary. Really makes you want to bike on the road, right?

I'm not saying bikers should break the laws. I personally get annoyed when bikers just cross at crosswalks expecting motorists to actually stop. While it's the law and they should, it's tantamount to suicide just to pull out in the middle of the road. I'm just trying to educate you about the other side of the issue. I don't know the particulars of that video nor do I care. It happens all the time. I googled one example in 10 seconds to show you that you were very wrong about "Bicyclists would never get ticketed!" I'm not sure why you turned that into me saying it's okay for bikers to break the law?

On a side note, I came about three inches from being hit by a young girl who apparently didn't know what "STOP" on a red octagon means this morning. I don't blame her though, she was just doing what 80% of motorists do when exiting the southbound GW Parkway onto the Memorial Bridge (I drive this segment myself pretty frequently and always make a concerted effort to stop unlike most the idiots). Please educate me why I shouldn't have expected her follow the law? I'm sure I did something wrong.
Everyone should obey the law, period. I should always stop for anyone in a crosswalk (which I do), but I should also expect any bicycle riders in crosswalks to demount and walk their bike, which i NEVER see happen.

Bikes in the crosswalk; are they safe on the path ? | Fairfax, Leesburg & Loudoun Legal Examiner | Fairfax, Leesburg & Loudoun Virginia Personal Injury Lawyer

Old 06-01-2015, 07:02 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,549,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Everyone should obey the law, period. I should always stop for anyone in a crosswalk (which I do), but I should also expect any bicycle riders in crosswalks to demount and walk their bike, which i NEVER see happen.

Bikes in the crosswalk; are they safe on the path ? | Fairfax, Leesburg & Loudoun Legal Examiner | Fairfax, Leesburg & Loudoun Virginia Personal Injury Lawyer
Virginia Law does not say that you have to dismount to cross. That article was talking about if bikers are banned from sidewalk and I don't know of any locality in Northern Virginia that has banned sidewalk riding, although Arlington probably should.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:19 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,234,936 times
Quote:
Virginia Law does not say that you have to dismount to cross. That article was talking about if bikers are banned from sidewalk and I don't know of any locality in Northern Virginia that has banned sidewalk riding, although Arlington probably should.
ok, you are correct; but they are required to stop when there is a stop sign and I also never see this.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:26 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,515,986 times
Quote:
I lane splitting on bicycles allowed according to VA law? I see this all the time. I do not like passing cyclists myself unless I can give them an entire lane but they seem to never have a problem doing reverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia