Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:40 PM

5 posts, read 11,362 times

Advertisements

As for the other responses so far... Thank you. Our biggest concern with moving to the "south" is that racism could affect our children. We can handle it, because we're older and wiser, but our children are completely ignorant to such issues; and I'd like to keep it that way... Getting teased, or avoided, because of your demographic mix is not something any child should have to go through...

In any case... Anybody have any more advice?

Any other areas near Leesburg, but still within commutable distance to Winchester that we should look into? Any areas we should avoid? All advice is welcomed, and greatly appreciated...

Oh...and my wife wants to know the best area(s) for shopping

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 08:44 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwt View Post
As for the other responses so far... Thank you. Our biggest concern with moving to the "south" is that racism could affect our children. We can handle it, because we're older and wiser, but our children are completely ignorant to such issues; and I'd like to keep it that way... Getting teased, or avoided, because of your demographic mix is not something any child should have to go through...

In any case... Anybody have any more advice?

Any other areas near Leesburg, but still within commutable distance to Winchester that we should look into? Any areas we should avoid? All advice is welcomed, and greatly appreciated...

Oh...and my wife wants to know the best area(s) for shopping

Thanks again!
If you live in or near Leesburg, you'll be near plenty of shopping in northern Virginia; probably the biggest nearby hub will be Tysons Corner on the DC Beltway near the Dulles Toll Road and I-66.

The other place you could live is near Gainesville or Centreville along I-66. That area is roughly about 15 miles south of Leesburg and will give you a similar length drive to Winchester.

I should note that if you take a job in the DC area, especially in DC itself or inside the Beltway in Virginia, you will probably want to live closer to DC than Leesburg, Gainesville, or Centreville because the commute will be terrible towards DC. The reverse commute out to Winchester likely wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:05 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Hi,

I like NOVA and you will run into some problems but it is not common nor is it institutionalized. It will be by individual. I almost never, and may not have heard the N word used by a non-African American person here in years. I have never heard the word cracker used here in a derogatory way.

Northern VA has a lot of civil war history. You will see the rebel flag around here. There are still "Rednecks" in the area for whatever you take that for. But not everyone with a confederate flag on their vehicle is necessarily flying it in that way. There are a lot of re-enactors around this area and I have run into several people wearing 101st Airborne stuff, including US Army Airborne wings, around all the time. As a prior service member I used to afford them respect because I thought they were veterans. I was shocked to find out that they were not veterans at all which I find disrespectful.

The closer you are to DC the less likely you are to run into the civil war stuff. Leesburg actually has a lot of civil war heritage as do Manassas and Fredericksburg.

It is a great area and there are people from all walks of life here. One advantage you will have is that a lot of people in the Northern VA area are not from DC.

Good luck. It is a great area.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:25 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
I don't think you will have a problem in Leesburg. Just go ask someone downstate what they think about us and they will tell you "they are north of Virginia." AKA we're nothing like them for good reason.

Definitely nothing like the Tidewater region IMO.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I don't think you will have a problem in Leesburg. Just go ask someone downstate what they think about us and they will tell you "they are north of Virginia." AKA we're nothing like them for good reason.

Definitely nothing like the Tidewater region IMO.
But you will see plenty of rebel flags in Leesburg.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:47 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
But you will see plenty of rebel flags in Leesburg.
I'm in Leesburg every single weekend, and often during the week. I can honestly say I've never sen a rebel flag in Leesburg, or noticed one on any car there.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I'm in Leesburg every single weekend, and often during the week. I can honestly say I've never sen a rebel flag in Leesburg, or noticed one on any car there.
I do not notice them per se because they are background to me like every other advertisement. This weekend look for them and see how many you see.

Leesburg has a lot of Civil War history. I may be wrong and it may be sanitized but I was there this last fall specifically to go with a friend to see a civil war house.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:08 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I do not notice them per se because they are background to me like every other advertisement. This weekend look for them and see how many you see.

Leesburg has a lot of Civil War history. I may be wrong and it may be sanitized but I was there this last fall specifically to go with a friend to see a civil war house.
Rebel flags aren't background to me, at all. I feel I always take notice, because I'm always curious as to who has it posted.

Now, if we are talking about seeing a rebel flag specifically at a Civil War site (house, battle site, etc); yes you will see more in the historical aspect. But I thought you were referring to seeing a bunch more flags or stickers just driving around. I feel you need to go further west or much further south to see that.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Rebel flags aren't background to me, at all. I feel I always take notice, because I'm always curious as to who has it posted.

Now, if we are talking about seeing a rebel flag specifically at a Civil War site (house, battle site, etc); yes you will see more in the historical aspect. But I thought you were referring to seeing a bunch more flags or stickers just driving around. I feel you need to go further west or much further south to see that.
The stickers I am thinking of are more in association with clubs, living history and heritage associations. I honestly do not go out that way anymore so I could certainly be very wrong.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:03 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Seriously? Rebel flags flying around Leesburg, VA? Not really. Sure, you get some rednecks that've come down from the country to shop, but you get that anywhere. Been to Indiana lately? True fact, the Klan was actually started in Indiana. The Civil War can trace it's roots of origin to Lawrence Kansas, and it's final conclusion to Wilmington, NC.

OP, Leesburg is in Loudoun County, one of the wealthiest counties in the entire country. It is also directly influenced by one of the most diverse cities in the entire world, Washington, DC. You know that saying of "it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round?", well, that's us. We're one of the IT capitols of the country, a major international tourist city, home to an employer with over 315,000,000 "customers" and growing at a net average of 6,000 per day, home to North American HQ's such has Hilton Hotels, Marriott Hotels, VW, and so on and so on. Out by were you're talking about, which is close to where I live, we have a demographic that is significanltly influenced by the western indian population (I might have that term wrong, not up to speed on proper terms because I don't really care about term, you get the point).

You will not have a problem here. Folks here are typically highly educated and highly exposed to all cultures from so many different areas of the world that you won't believe it. Heck, my first grader's class picture looks like a mini-me United Nations conference, and he loves it! People live in areas like Leesburg to settle down, raise a family, go to soccer on Saturday morning and race to Costco afterwards. Watch thier kids play on the many playgrounds, shop at cool antique stores, take in the charm of the area and beauty of the topography. The demographics are too diverse for anyone to care about your own personal relationship with your spouse, significant other, or extended family. If you're a good person who is nice to those around you, then I think you'll find what you're looking for here. But if you're looking for special attention or treatement because of your relationship, then you're looking in the wrong area. We just don't care, which is good. In this area, you're going to be around folks smart enough to give a crap if you're purple and she's green. If you have a tail and she has claws.

My best friend (Bubba 2), who lives in Wilmington, NC, is married to a woman from Kenya. Let me tell you something - when she walks into a room, there isn't a guy who doesn't notice her and doesn't start to droll. She is stunningly beautiful, and one of the sweetest person's I've ever known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia