Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 06:58 PM

41 posts, read 46,394 times

Advertisements

Never used it before. I saw an old thread from 2012 but wanted to ask 3 years later for experience, quality and satisfaction with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 PM

239 posts, read 282,657 times
I've had it for just under a year. No issues whatsoever.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:38 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,969,793 times
I have had it for several years, it is far better than comcast imho.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:02 PM

133 posts, read 257,947 times
I used bundled Verizon FiOS (Internet, TV, phone) for two years in Oakton, VA, from 2011 to 2013, and I have now had FiOS again here in MD for just over a year.

In those 3 years, the only time I lost service was when the derecho hit NoVA on June 29th, 2012. I was without electricity for about 36 hours, and because I didn't have my router or TVs/set-top boxes plugged into a battery backup, I couldn't tell whether I still had Internet service or TV.

On my home Internet network, I have 4 computers, 3 phones, and two HD TVs. Quality of service is excellent, and I am extremely satisfied with the performance of the FiOS service. Download speeds and video streaming are both phenomenal!

Here in MD I was also offered their 50 upload/50 download Internet speeds at no extra charge vs. the 50/25 I had in VA.

I only have three complaints:

1. In VA, I was given a free router to use. Here in MD, I had to purchase an Actiontec router because my Linksys was not certified for the installation. So I bought an Actiontec on eBay, their technician used it set up the network, and then I replaced it with my Linksys and re-sold the Actiontec on eBay.

2. In VA, I used their FiOS Digital Voice service to manage my home phone, which provided features such as call blocking that I could set up over the Internet. Here in MD, that service is not available, and I just have plain old telephone-over-IP.

3. They nickel-and-dime you on the monthly leasing of their set-top boxes ($6 for a digital adapter, $12 for an HD adapter, etc.), and this really adds to your monthly bill if you have multiple TVs. But in their defense, this appears to be an industry standard that even the cable companies have adopted.

One word of advice - make sure you find the best deal that you can. I signed up for their bundled services here in MD at one price, and then I received an offer in the mail at a lower price (the piece of mail was delayed by the post office since my house was in a new development and street).

Old 06-03-2015, 08:01 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,568 times
It is 10000x better than cable.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:06 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,260 posts, read 4,366,694 times
We have it, and it works well. Their bundle deals can save you some money. The speed and reliability have both been great.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:08 AM

74 posts, read 188,335 times
I had it in VA for about 5 years. Loved it. I have moved to NC and have to deal with the TW. The internet has been fine. It is the horrible TW cable boxes I hate. I just decided to cut the cable because of it.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:11 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,510,603 times
We have it, I love it. I am not sure it is any faster than cable.

My only negative is that when I hit the button for On Demand or to bring up the channel menu/now playing it comes up with an advertisement. I do not like getting advertisements while using paid services. It only happens one time a day for each box at most but I do dislike it.

I give give FiOS 2 thumbs up.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:19 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,260 posts, read 4,366,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
My only negative is that when I hit the button for On Demand or to bring up the channel menu/now playing it comes up with an advertisement. I do not like getting advertisements while using paid services. It only happens one time a day for each box at most but I do dislike it.
I absolutely agree that this is ridiculous. The wait to "exit" the ad drives me crazy too. Oh well...

Old 06-03-2015, 10:09 AM

274 posts, read 350,003 times
We have it and like it. We have a bundled package and it is cheaper than anything we have had in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia