Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 06:08 AM

45 posts, read 70,987 times

Advertisements

As the title suggests, I'm looking for places to take a dog swimming in NoVA. I would love to hear places in ALL locations but am particularly interested in places near Springfield, Burke, Lorton, Alexandria.

I do know about Four Mile Run at Shirlington dog park. I did that once and my dog got the runs. I can't prove it was the water quality, I might try it once more.. but also it is pretty shallow and I want somewhere he can really swim.

I have heard you can at Burke Lake but technically it is against the rules.

A guy that works at a dog day care told me the Occaquan River in Woodbridge was one of the only non-polluted rivers in the area and he told me where to get in but I went to look for it and spent a lot of time looking and could not find where he was talking about. (he said down past the VRE station, but there are a lot of communities and golf courses there and it seemed to all be fenced off.. I'm not jumping fences).

Preferably, it would be allowed and not just "against the rules but overlooked".

How about Lake Mercer?

I think it is against rules at Accotink..

Where else? The potomac is pretty polluted, right? I think a place along the GW pkwy would be easy if the water was not too polluted..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 06:47 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltrdc View Post
Where else? The potomac is pretty polluted, right? I think a place along the GW pkwy would be easy if the water was not too polluted..
I'm just going to address this part because I don't know of anywhere to take a dog swimming.

I wouldn't suggest the Potomac because the current is so strong, your best friend could easily get swept away.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:18 AM

110 posts, read 123,105 times
While its not in your preferred area there is Silver Lake Park in Haymarket (probably about 30 minutes from Burke). We take our dog there every week and if you go to the side of the lake with the cemetery there are hardly ever any other people there, so its a good place to let your dog run around and swim.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:08 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
I've been told that Upton Hill Park, on Wilson Boulevard in Arlington, one day every September lets people bring their dogs to the pool for a big dog swim before they empty out the pool for the season.

Not sure what the rules are, but Roache's Run (off the southbound GW Parkway just before DCA) would be a great pond for this. I took my kayak there once. Very shallow on the south end, but the north side is deep enough--I'm guessing maybe 6-8 feet. There's usually at least someone fishing from the bank, so I would be careful about not annoying them if you try this.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:26 PM

211 posts, read 451,199 times
There is a dog pool in Middleburg but again that is outside of your preferred area.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:23 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanRemo View Post
There is a dog pool in Middleburg but again that is outside of your preferred area.
It's really an indoor animal physical therapy pool. It's not really for recreation, although it can be used that way. It is pricey, though.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:34 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,406 times
Olde Towne Pet Resort in Springfield has a pool for dog swimming. They turn on jets and the dog can swim in place. They have a web cam where you watch them swimming. I had my dog do it once. I want to say it's $20 for 20 minutes or something like that.

It's probably going to be tough to find anywhere in a park type of setting in Fairfax County where it wouldn't be illegal to have your dog off leash and swimming. I do see people occasionally doing it in Pohick Creek along the Cross County Trail, and I'm not terribly offended by it given the low traffic along the trail, but it is illegal.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:12 AM

45 posts, read 70,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Olde Towne Pet Resort in Springfield has a pool for dog swimming. They turn on jets and the dog can swim in place. They have a web cam where you watch them swimming. I had my dog do it once. I want to say it's $20 for 20 minutes or something like that.
I did this for my Lab's birthday, the guy in the pool was the one who told me to go by the Occoquan near the VRE but I couldn't find the entrance, might go back just for better instructions...

Old 07-06-2015, 07:22 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,042 times
A really good place is the Prince William Forest Park off of 95. I regularly took my dog down there. Here's where I parked which is secluded so I could take my dog off her leash. There is a small stream that is just deep enough for a dog to swim but not too deep.

If you don't want to drive that far, Roache's Run or LBJ Grove off the GW Parkway would be your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia