Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 12:03 PM

518 posts, read 929,135 times

Advertisements

I read the opinion piece cited by the OP and fail to see any hard numbers from credible sources supporting the opinion. I see numbers on costs for LEP programs but no numbers on total cost spent, how this compares to other years, and the important factor of how many of these children in these programs are illegal aliens. I don't see any proof of redistricting for the purposes of diversity. One important thing to remember is that the worst school triangle in Fairfax still achieves better than the lowest achieving STATES in the country.

Being the first American born on my mom's side, I can sympathize with the frustration felt toward people who are in this country illegally, but children should never bear the brunt of this frustration. They didn't choose to be in the situation that they are in. It takes a village and we are all part of that village, regardless of how they got to this village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 12:09 PM

601 posts, read 596,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
Do you really want to argue and pitch your voice that your neighborhood schools really suck and are abysmal?
Sadly, I don't have to do that arguing. Plenty do it for me, with their feet and mouths.

General proposal for several posters: Enough of the limousine liberal-ing. Vote with your feet and mouth. Move to an area with a high number of low SES individuals, and recommend that others do as well. Will you? I bet you won't. I had to sell my own husband on our neighborhood.

FCPS tells me that my neighborhood schools suck by periodically doing stable demographic hatchet jobs on the high school that I am zoned to, leaving it with nothing but low SES/ESL students. What they've done to Annandale High School is nothing short of criminal, in my opinion, and if I could draw and quarter every single board member that voted to systematically strip away every stable neighborhood from it - I would.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:19 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,206,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Go home Aero. You're done here.
Done? If you're so confident, why don't you explain your comment. Better yet, why don't you outline your position related to the OP?

Old 07-17-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
The task of public schools is to educate the children of a given area. ALL OF THEM. Regardless of any extra costs for an individual pupil that may be posed by athletes, the gifted or talented, the disabled or handicapped, or those moving into the area from areas with poorer schools than what we have. You might want to get used to such simple facts along with the reality of your personal obligation to help pay for it all.
Again, you've said nothing. The "task" of the schools is 100% irrelevant to a discussion on the COSTS associated with that task.

For someone who touts his understanding of economics, you sure can't say the same about your command of logical reasoning. Maybe try opining on the issue at hand, which is the rapidly increasing cost and burden of illegal immigrants and non-English speaking immigrants on the school system.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:35 PM

65 posts, read 68,407 times
Hahaha.. I'm not anti-right. I'm so liberal that I even have right-wing friends. .
It seems that so far, all you have done is make inflammatory remarks toward those who disagree with you or dismiss other people's opinions as "illogical."
I'd like to hear your solution to this issue. So, enlighten us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I asked a question. You have no logical reason to question my motives. So keep your anti-right commentary to yourself next time.

Regarding your response, it is littered with red-herrings and other logical fallacies. I have no desire to address those because they really don't warrant a reasoned response.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
I read the opinion piece cited by the OP and fail to see any hard numbers from credible sources supporting the opinion. I see numbers on costs for LEP programs but no numbers on total cost spent, how this compares to other years, and the important factor of how many of these children in these programs are illegal aliens. I don't see any proof of redistricting for the purposes of diversity. One important thing to remember is that the worst school triangle in Fairfax still achieves better than the lowest achieving STATES in the country.

Being the first American born on my mom's side, I can sympathize with the frustration felt toward people who are in this country illegally, but children should never bear the brunt of this frustration. They didn't choose to be in the situation that they are in. It takes a village and we are all part of that village, regardless of how they got to this village.
You fail to identify your position on the costs of this "village" mentality. At what point do you draw the line?

Old 07-17-2015, 12:42 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,263,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
The right-wing has been attacking public schools for decades. They've been attacking immigrants for almost as long. There is nothing new here. It's all the same old fraud.

Meanwhile, the strength of FCPS has been one of the keys in attracting businesses and top-notch workers to Fairfax County. Both the state and the county asked FCPS to accept heavy burdens during the Great Recession and they bore those well. Now that things are back on the upswing, there is catch-up work to be done. We do not want to see our students struggling, our best teachers leaving the system, and the reputation of our schools suffering because of the simple short-sightedness of anti-tax cheapskates and skinflints.
Those types were a major reason why I hated living in Fairfax when I was married. Fairfax is consistently ranked near the top in terms of richest counties in the entire country, and it was chock full of people who took an "I got mine and to hell with you" attitude toward things like this over what would basically amount to a few bucks they could dang well afford for the greater good. It was sickening.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:13 PM

540 posts, read 794,721 times
Yes, children who do not speak English well, or at all, will be more expensive to the system. I don't follow where this thread is supposed to go after that. There are only two options: kick them (the undocumented ones) out of the country or suck up the additional costs and educate them. The former should not, and will not happen. So, what is there to talk about?

Old 07-17-2015, 01:22 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,667,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Again, you've said nothing.
Really pathetic.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:25 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,667,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Those types were a major reason why I hated living in Fairfax when I was married. Fairfax is consistently ranked near the top in terms of richest counties in the entire country, and it was chock full of people who took an "I got mine and to hell with you" attitude toward things like this over what would basically amount to a few bucks they could dang well afford for the greater good. It was sickening.
It isn't the ones who are well off. These are people who look for ways to give back to society. The nonsense comes from the lower-grade wallowers who feel insecure and threatened in their place and status in society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia