Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,882 times

Advertisements

I was approved for 3.75% interest but my APR is 4.79%??? No points. Purchase at $347,500 - 30 year fixed FHA, my credit =750, 3.5% downpmt. Sellers have agreed to pay closing costs. Condo in Arlington, VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:01 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,428,443 times
Your APR is so high because FHA is, quite frankly, not a very good loan. I know it isn't your exact question, but with your credit score you should not be doing FHA. The biggest issue is that PMI is FOREVER on 3.5% FHA loans and the origination fee is 1.75%. That's horrible. This is because you aren't just paying for your loan, you are paying to cover all the crappy FHA loans that are gonna default at some point.

Now it is a good way for people with low credit (or little history) to buy a house they otherwise might never get a loan for. I am totally anti-FHA, just for people that qualify for better products.

Take a look at some local lenders (there are a bunch with offices in Tyson's) and you will probably find some offering 5% down with much lower PMI. With your credit score they'll be clamoring to give you money. For example, a 30 year traditional loan at Penfed @ 3.75% has an APR of 3.883%. I'm also a huge fan of their 5/5 ARM (only reset every five years) if you think you'll be moving in <12 years. 3.1% rate, no origination fee (vs. FHA 1.75%). That's $6K you just shaved off the balance of your loan before you even make a payment!

PMI will drop at 80% LTV with any other company. If your condo appreciates you can even refinance and save $3K in PMI a year. Not gonna happen with FHA. Penfed (or similar) could save you $10-20K, take a look. Also the sellers aren't paying your closing costs, you are paying them by rolling them into the loan, but I digress. It's not a terrible idea to roll them if you would prefer to save (or don't have) a lot of cash.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:04 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,318,927 times
Is the PMI included in the APR calculation? PMI on FHA loans is killer.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,882 times
Thank you boyd888. I will look into traditional loan. This is all new to me and the whole process is making me physically ill. The stress and worries!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:33 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,520 times
I think Penfed charges 1% origination fee on all mortgages.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:15 AM

274 posts, read 348,846 times
Most mortgage companies do charge some sort of origination fee. Does your Realtor not have lenders that they work with and trust to help advise you? I do not mean a lender they get a kick back from, I mean a legit lender that works to advise their clients what loan program is best for their situation.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:43 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,730,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Your APR is so high because FHA is, quite frankly, not a very good loan. I know it isn't your exact question, but with your credit score you should not be doing FHA. The biggest issue is that PMI is FOREVER on 3.5% FHA loans and the origination fee is 1.75%. That's horrible. This is because you aren't just paying for your loan, you are paying to cover all the crappy FHA loans that are gonna default at some point.

Now it is a good way for people with low credit (or little history) to buy a house they otherwise might never get a loan for. I am totally anti-FHA, just for people that qualify for better products.

Take a look at some local lenders (there are a bunch with offices in Tyson's) and you will probably find some offering 5% down with much lower PMI. With your credit score they'll be clamoring to give you money. For example, a 30 year traditional loan at Penfed @ 3.75% has an APR of 3.883%. I'm also a huge fan of their 5/5 ARM (only reset every five years) if you think you'll be moving in <12 years. 3.1% rate, no origination fee (vs. FHA 1.75%). That's $6K you just shaved off the balance of your loan before you even make a payment!

PMI will drop at 80% LTV with any other company. If your condo appreciates you can even refinance and save $3K in PMI a year. Not gonna happen with FHA. Penfed (or similar) could save you $10-20K, take a look. Also the sellers aren't paying your closing costs, you are paying them by rolling them into the loan, but I digress. It's not a terrible idea to roll them if you would prefer to save (or don't have) a lot of cash.
Some of what you say is true, but FHA is still a good option for many of us. My wife and both have excellent credit and make over 100K/year. We used an FHA loan. Why? Because we didn't and don't have $120-150K in liquid cash lying around to use as a down payment on a house that costs $600K+, which is what you have to pay for a even a small, old house within a 30-minute drive to DC and isn't falling apart. We have student loans and other expenses, and we save for retirement--so it's not that easy to sock away that amount of money unless you can live in some cheap apartment while doing so. Especially when most or all of the profit from the sale of the old home goes toward the realtor's commission.

Yes, PMI sucked. I agree it's ridiculous that we responsible people have to pay for the sins of the slackers who default. But in our case, we refinanced to get rid of it and to get a lower rate, because rates had dropped.

The real super-deal is the VA loan. The lifetime perks that go with doing even a stateside office job in one of the armed services are so good, I'm starting to think every young person should do a hitch right before or after college.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:46 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I think Penfed charges 1% origination fee on all mortgages.
Correction - they charge this fee for all mortgages except their 5/5 ARM (currently, anyway).

Old 07-21-2015, 11:20 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,318,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
We used an FHA loan. Why? Because we didn't and don't have $120-150K in liquid cash lying around to use as a down payment on a house that costs $600K+
You don't need that much cash for a conventional though. You can easily get 5% down if your credit is good, which is only like 30k on a 650k home. There will still be PMI, but it won't be as bad as FHA. And it will go away, unlike FHA. And the upfront fees will be much lower than FHA. If you do an FHA loan now you're basically guaranteeing yourself a future refi to make PMI go away, but with rates so low you don't want to do that. I think you may have bought back when FHA loans weren't as bad a deal though. The rules changed a couple years ago regarding them.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,730,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
You don't need that much cash for a conventional though. You can easily get 5% down if your credit is good, which is only like 30k on a 650k home. There will still be PMI, but it won't be as bad as FHA. And it will go away, unlike FHA. And the upfront fees will be much lower than FHA. If you do an FHA loan now you're basically guaranteeing yourself a future refi to make PMI go away, but with rates so low you don't want to do that. I think you may have bought back when FHA loans weren't as bad a deal though. The rules changed a couple years ago regarding them.
Interesting. I'd never heard of a conventional that lets you put 5% down. True, we bought a few years ago and did the refi I think in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: