Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:41 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,160 times

Advertisements

But it's not working -- may be filled with old gas. Does anyone know who will service a portable generator? A few places I called will only come out for the permanent standby units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 04:56 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Would you not instead take a portable generator to someone to repair instead of having someone come to fix it?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:19 PM

133 posts, read 257,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
But it's not working -- may be filled with old gas.
Yup, old gas will gum up the jets. The generator should have come with instructions on how to winterize it by draining the old gas or using a product like Sta-Bil.

Quote:
Does anyone know who will service a portable generator? A few places I called will only come out for the permanent standby units.
I believe you will have to take it to a repair shop, and I would suggest a business that works on lawnmowers since they specialize in the servicing of small engines.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:28 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Are these some that you called?

HOME

Mobile Small Engine Repair | Chucks Small Engine Repair Fairfax ,VA

Old 08-05-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Would you not instead take a portable generator to someone to repair instead of having someone come to fix it?
Trying to avoid that, since its pretty heavy and I don't have a truck.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_in_beechtree View Post
Yup, old gas will gum up the jets. The generator should have come with instructions on how to winterize it by draining the old gas or using a product like Sta-Bil.

I believe you will have to take it to a repair shop, and I would suggest a business that works on lawnmowers since they specialize in the servicing of small engines.
I did use Sta-Bil on the gas, so its possible its something else.
A lawnmower repair or similar business is a good idea, I'd just need to figure out a way to get it there.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Nope, and these are just what I was looking for. I will give them a call. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2015, 04:57 PM

25 posts, read 48,124 times
Before you go to the repair shop, I'd suggest the following quick and easy steps:

- Check to make sure the fuel shutoff valve is turned to "on". I've made this simple mistake more than once!
- Check the oil level. Most generators have an automatic shutoff if the oil level gets too low. Those air-cooled engines go thru oil quicker than you'd think. If low, top off the tank and try starting.
- Clean/replace the air filter. A dirty air filter will starve the engine and it won't start. If it looks even a little dirty, replace it and try starting.
- Clean the carburetor with carb cleaner. As long as you've got the air filter off, give the carb a few squirts and let dry. If you do get the engine running, follow instructions on the can to complete the cleaning.

Those are all quick and easy steps that might be worth exploring before taking the generator to a small-engine repair shop. Let us know how it turns out!

Old 08-08-2015, 06:11 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,319 times
You probably just need to clean the carburetor out and put in new gas. Search youtube for whatever model you have - it shouldn't take more than an hour. Certainly easier than dragging it to a repair shop to pay someone $200 to spend ten minutes cleaning it out.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
It's actually fairly easy to remove the carburetor, and clean it with Gumout spray from the auto parts store. I bet you can find a youtube video on it. Most lawnmower shops will repair any small gas engine, but so do may rental places that rent generators. Sometimes just removing the spark plug, putting a little gas in the hole and replacing it will be enough to get it going when the vacuum
pulls the fresh gas through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia