Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 06:29 PM

43 posts, read 242,470 times

Advertisements

Will someone outline for me why Virginia cities are their own entities, i.e., they do not seem to be part of a county? For example, Fairfax City, though completely surrounded by Fairfax County, appears to have its own government and police force. Do they have nothing to do with Fairfax County? Do counties have county seats? What about towns, like Dumfries? If Dumfries has its own police force, do the Prince William County police have any jurisdiction in the town? By contrast, Georgia is big on county government, but their cities don't seem as autonomous from the counties that they are in as compared with Virginia. For example, the city of Atlanta is the county seat of Fulton County. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 11:26 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,688,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_n_Pontiac View Post
Will someone outline for me why Virginia cities are their own entities, i.e., they do not seem to be part of a county? For example, Fairfax City, though completely surrounded by Fairfax County, appears to have its own government and police force. Do they have nothing to do with Fairfax County? Do counties have county seats? What about towns, like Dumfries? If Dumfries has its own police force, do the Prince William County police have any jurisdiction in the town? By contrast, Georgia is big on county government, but their cities don't seem as autonomous from the counties that they are in as compared with Virginia. For example, the city of Atlanta is the county seat of Fulton County. Thanks.
Virginia cities and towns are incorporated. I think it goes WAY back to when independent entities like the Cities of Falls Church, Fairfax, Alexandria and the Towns of Vienna, Clifton, Dumfries, etc were islands in the wilderness. As development advanced outward, areas near, but outside of the corporate limits of these cities and towns took their names.

Although I've never heard the term "county seat" used around here...I would imagine that the City of Fairfax was and is the county seat of Fairfax County.

What surprised me is the relative "youth" of Arlington County....it was Alexandria County until just 1920.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:28 AM

267 posts, read 1,362,106 times
In Virginia everything is either "county" or "independent city". Towns, even though many of them like Leesburg are bigger than many of the so-called independent city, they are still part of the county.

Not sure about Northern Virginia but there are several independent cities around Virginia that are county seats.

Winchester is a classic example at how weird this "Independent city" form of government can be.

Even though Winchester is an independent city they are still the county seat of Frederick County. The two places share the courthouse and Frederick County has a huge goverment building in the center of downtown Winchester. Frederick County has many offices scattered throughout Winchester such as their social services which is located a few blocks from Winchester's.

The county even has a few schools within Winchester city limits even though Winchester has their own school system. In fact for a time there were two elementary schools right next door to each other, one for Frederick County, the other for Winchester. And yes that was confusion for some of the students...snow days for example.

The Frederick County Parks Department is located...yes in Winchester. And yes Winchester has their own Parks Department.
Talk about a waste of money !!

Even though Winchester has their own sheriff, the Frederick County Sheriffs department can and often does have a say within Winchester. Say you run a red light in Winchester and Frederick County sees you, they can write you a ticket. The center piece of downtown Winchester? The old FREDERICK COUNTY courthouse.

All that despite the fact Winchester isn't a part of Frederick County. No wonder that area is talking merger !! Might as well !!

Harrisonburg ( independent city ) is the county seat for Rockingham County. Like Winchester, there is a lot of "county" in the city. County school buses roam the streets of Harrisonburg, county offices are located inside city limits, dittos with the county courthouse...

A county seat who isn't a part of the county. Only in Virginia !!!

Last edited by billybobwv; 01-27-2008 at 01:58 AM..

Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,515,046 times
I also have a question - does the town of Fairfax (not Fairfax city) have its own mayor and town council? I dont get how it works.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 AM

566 posts, read 2,987,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I also have a question - does the town of Fairfax (not Fairfax city) have its own mayor and town council? I dont get how it works.
Nevermind...Sorry I misread your post.

Last edited by DavidS827; 01-28-2008 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia