Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 01:56 AM

721 posts, read 1,212,075 times

Advertisements

After researching, I've found two agents with proven records. It seems that one has 4 active listings with mostly higher asking prices. The other has one active listing but her location not close to my property.

To compare the pros and cons, the one with 4 listings might be too busy to focus on my property, while the other might not show up as often as she would if her location were closer.

Which one would make a better candidate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 05:27 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,607,699 times
Go with the one who has sold the most homes in your neighborhood

Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,248,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Go with the one who has sold the most homes in your neighborhood
Agree - if neither has sold any homes in your neighborhood, find out who sells the most homes in your neighborhood and talk to them.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:14 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,728,463 times
If you're in a high-demand area, just go with who offers the lowest commission. Once the house is on MLS, it sells itself. People who are ready to buy are checking the MLS several times a day.

Getting it on the MLS is the only real service a listing agent provides, other than drawing up the forms. Open houses are a joke; everyone knows the only person who benefits is the listing agent, by getting new clients. (Any serious buyer at an open house has already seen it online and will make an appointment for a private viewing anyway.) You don't need "staging" advice if you just clear out all the clutter and personal effects and maybe paint here and there. Realtors like to brag about how well they "market" their listings, but house listings are now more like eBay than anything else.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:04 AM

721 posts, read 1,212,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
If you're in a high-demand area, just go with who offers the lowest commission. Once the house is on MLS, it sells itself. People who are ready to buy are checking the MLS several times a day.
Some other realtors offer 4.5% (3% for buyer/1.5% for themselves) commission rate. Do you think that they offer the same level of service as those who charge 6%?

The two agents I found are masters in staging. They staged the homes so well that they both got cash offers and closed in several days. It may make a difference to have a professional stage the home so that it looks perfectly appealing.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,427,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
Some other realtors offer 4.5% (3% for buyer/1.5% for themselves) commission rate. Do you think that they offer the same level of service as those who charge 6%?

The two agents I found are masters in staging. They staged the homes so well that they both got cash offers and closed in several days. It may make a difference to have a professional stage the home so that it looks perfectly appealing.
Sounds like you're buying into the realtor hype quite a bit. I agree that a house sells itself. A good location and price will sell more than bowls of fruit everywhere. Arlington ramblers with interiors from the 70s are selling for $700K because of where they are and nothing more.

Rebate realtors are just fine and offer the same service. They offer rebates because it's 2015 not 1992 and realize that not all sellers want to pay 6% cartel fees to have someone list it on the MLS and show up at closing.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:52 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,728,463 times
Quote:
That's my point: There is no real "service" that you need beyond 1. posting it on MLS and 2. meeting clients to show the house by appointment.

Quote:
OK, but you can stage it yourself very easily. There's stuff on this all over the Internet. We staged our old house (even though we were paying 5.5% to a listing agent, who was very lazy), and it did very well. It's really just de-cluttering and de-personalizing. Not rocket science. Of course, there's an entire industry of people who make money by convincing people otherwise.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:30 AM

274 posts, read 348,709 times
I think there are several factors that go into picking the right Realtor. In my opinion a rebate agent is not going to give you the same service, but obviously I am biased, since I am a Realtor. If you had to have heart surgery would you shop for the surgeon who will give you the best price, or would you go with the one with the best reputation of getting the job done? I'm sure I will get torn to shreds on this, but oh well.

As for picking, first you need to go with the agent that you felt most comfortable with and that seems the most eager to get your house sold. Agents do more then just put the house in the MLS and cross their fingers, at least good ones do. If your home is priced appropriately, staged appropriately, and professional pictures are done(not iphone pictures ugh), and you are in a great location, then of course your house will sell. Also the one who has a few listings, do they have a team? Sometimes working with a lead agent that then has buyers agents, can be beneficial as well because you have several people all working towards the common goal. I work with buyers and I will say that most people judge the book by the cover, if the pictures do not show the home in the best light, then they are not going to see that home.

Good luck and go with your gut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: