Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 742 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy in NoVA soon, coming from the MD side of the river. My budget maxes out around 450k. No interest in condos, so that leaves me with townhouses or shabby single families unless we start looking south of 495.

I'm a 30 yo single male, no kids, so being near Old Town, Arlington, and west DC are important. I have a car, use Uber, and work in MD, so being on a metro line isn't critical. Since I work in MD across the Wilson Bridge, I'm trying to not get too far up into Arlington.

I'm young, but understand the value of finding safe areas with good schools that will hold their value and hopefully appreciate. My current neighborhood in Charles County is very nice, but there is a lot of flux and I foresee a downturn in its future. Not my main reason for moving, but certainly a consideration.

I know it's difficult to project, but any guidance on up and coming areas or nice/stable areas vs areas set for a downturn or areas to definitely avoid would be helpful. I spend a fair amount of time in NoVA and have a feel for the neighborhoods, but other opinions always help.

I find my searches pointing me toward Shirlington/Fairlington or Cameron Station. Old Town is well out of my price range and Del Ray seems high as well. I've read a bit about the areas on here, but they seem to be changing rapidly, so I was looking for a late 2015 update.

What neighborhoods/areas would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 04:11 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,095 times
Belle View looks nice and seems to fit your criteria.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:55 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,798,419 times
I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything under $450k but I would look at Wingate I or II in South Arlington. It is very close to 395 and well kept.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:12 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,292,174 times
There are parts of yet-to-be-gentrified Shirlington like along Kemper Rd that would fit your criteria. They have duplexes and some brand new townhouses. The duplexes run around $350 I think.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:36 PM

7 posts, read 9,812 times
I have always though the Winter Hill community in Falls Church City is nice and well within your budget. With all of the development around it and the metro not far, I believe it would be a good investment. I think that there is not currently one on the market, but watch closely because they come available pretty regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: