Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,211 times

Advertisements

Hi there

We are a dual military family that recently relocated to Vienna from the Middle East. We rented the home we are in via the internet .. didn't realize at the time that we would find ourselves on the outskirts of Vienna and that there would be no before school programs available for our son.

I have been scouring the internet, etc, trying to locate either before school programs that will take my son to Colvin Run Elementary, live out nannies, babysitters .. with absolutely no luck. The SACC program at the school is swamped and we have no chance of getting in there. There are absolutely no day care centers out here that will take him to Colvin Run. The YMCA is in Reston and only takes children to Herndon / Reston schools.

Am I overlooking something? Perhaps someone more familiar with the area would have some ideas? Would appreciate any insight you may have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,924,156 times
It is sometimes possible to transfer your child to a different elementary school if it is located near his child-care facility (or sitter's house), so long as the new school has room.

If you can't or don't want to switch schools, and you can't arrange your work schedules to accomodate the school start time, then you might consider begging or paying one of your neighbors who has kids at the school to take your child in the morning and walk him to the bus stop along with their own children.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Of course, check with the school itself, and if you haven't seen it, this Fairfax County website offers a a lot of childcare-related info, but <claremarie> may be on the right track...time to get creative. Since I had flexitime available before most people, I shifted my workday back and basically did the sitter-to-school transfer with six kids when they were all there. Made for some interesting mornings. That was in the 1980's, but I'm sure there are folks out there somewhere who are doing the same thing today. Might be just a matter of tracking them down...

Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,211 times
Thanks for the replies No, I don't want to switch schools .. a friend already mentioned that option. I have emailed the president of the PTO .. so, am definitely trying that option also posted a message on the community website.

I did check the Fairfax County site .. not much for where I am. Interesting thought .. I think something will come through, just looking for all my options.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,405 times
Hi There,I know your message is from 2008....but I am in similar situtation for after school care....can you please let me know if you had find any help...and I greatly appriecaite if you share them to me....my son also goes to colvin run and I need help after school....he is in SACC for before school....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia