Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 02:11 PM

31 posts, read 33,300 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I am posting here because my dad and I will be travelling from Arizona and staying in Manassas in a couple weeks for my sister's wedding. During our stay, both my dad and I want to get to a beach to stick our feet in the water and say we have been in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. I realize it sounds silly, but we've only been back east once before, and it's more "symbolic" than anything. We realize it is a fair drive from Northern Virginia (approximately 3+ hours as I look at it), so we were going to make a full day out of it and stop at the US Naval Academy Museum in Annapolis, and possibly find something else out that direction to make the trip more worth our while.

First, my main question. What is the best place to go to find that ocean water from Northern VA? I am seeing both Rehoboth Beach, DE and Ocean City, MD as reasonable destinations for the day. Pro's and con's for each of them? As I said, it will just be my dad and myself, so we don't necessarily need amusement park rides and stuff, but definitely would like to get a fun taste of a beach/boardwalk as we are Arizona natives, and until California falls into the ocean (can't happen soon enough IMO, but that's another story for another day), we don't get much exposure to beaches and the like. Certainly would love to find a fantastic inexpensive place for lunch if possible (inexpensive oceanside meal, I know, probably an oxymoron). Given that it will be late October, we don't plan on exactly swimming around, but hopefully we can take advantage of a non-peak time of the year and enjoy ourselves. So any recommendations there would be greatly appreciated.

Second, as I mentioned, we want to make a day out of that trip. We already have the US Naval Academy Museum penciled in, but what else would be a great, fun, inexpensive (if it costs money) stop for us while we are out in that area?

Again, thanks in advance for any tips for us to enjoy ourselves, and apologies if I should have posted this in a different section. I seem to be combining questions involving 3 different locations and possible sections (NoVA, MD, and DE) here, so wasn't sure where to go with it.

Last edited by Sonic99; 10-10-2015 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 02:47 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Go to Ocean City, there's likely to still be more open than Rehobeth/Betheny (I've actually done Va. Beach in a day trip if you don't mind a longer drive) - lots of places close after the season though. Inner Harbor in Baltimore is a nice trip, the Smithsonians are a must (take Metro), Old Town Alexandria is nice to wander (the Torpedo Factory is free), you can grab something cheap to eat and sit by the water, wander shops and restaurants, people watch - have fun.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:40 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
If you want a true Ocean Beach both Ocean City and Rehoboth Beach are drivable within 3 hours give or take. The key is to be over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge early (usually 7 am) so as to avoid getting caught in a backup.

If you prefer amusement parks and chain restaurants/souvenir shops, Ocean City is the place to go. Rehoboth Beach has more independent small businesses. It is also close by Henlopen State Park, which is on the ocean with walking/biking trails, etc. Parking can be hard to find and expensive at both Ocean City and Rehoboth, though a bit better now that the summer crowds are gone. Both towns have boardwalks, the one at OC is bigger.

If you go very early in the day and don't mind a night return, the 90 minute ferry trip from Lewes DE to Cape May NJ is a lot of fun. Cape May-Lewes Ferry Home
You can take your car (expensive) or walk on (cheap) and use the shuttle to/from the ferry port to the historic town of Cape May. Cape May is a restored Victorian sea resort and has a boardwalk too. It's a lovely trip when the weather is nice.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:00 PM

31 posts, read 33,300 times
My sister has mentioned the Inner Harbor. What all is there to see and do there? I know there is an aquarium, but with it being a little further away from our base in Manassas, what else is that direction that would make a day trip that way worth our while?

Again, I apologize I'm asking about stuff not in Northern Virginia, but not really sure where else this topic should be since we've got multiple areas all involved in our plans, I don't want to spam the forum in multiple sections about similar stuff.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:29 PM

There are a bunch shops and restaurants and a ship you can go through at Inner Harbor - you could also go to Ft. Deitrich if you are into historical visits. If you belong to AAA you get a discount on the aquarium. You could also just drive West, leaves should be beautiful and see mountains, antique shops, farmers markets, etc. - just stop at what interests you.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:39 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic99 View Post
My sister has mentioned the Inner Harbor. What all is there to see and do there? I know there is an aquarium, but with it being a little further away from our base in Manassas, what else is that direction that would make a day trip that way worth our while?

Again, I apologize I'm asking about stuff not in Northern Virginia, but not really sure where else this topic should be since we've got multiple areas all involved in our plans, I don't want to spam the forum in multiple sections about similar stuff.
Inner Harbor is not worth the time. Other than the aquarium, which isn't really that special, there is nothing but chain stores and cheesy gift shops. And it's small. Edit - they do have a number of ships in the harbor that you can tour. I forget which ones - historic battleships, one really old one. If you are into naval history maybe you would like that. FYI, aquarium is really expensive.

Rehoboth and Ocean City are right next to each other. Both have nice Boardwalks, but Rehoboth is smaller and more family oriented, and OC has more nightlife and is bigger. But this time of year, I'm not sure anything on the boardwalks will even be open.

I disagree with lots of people about what's "special." Old Town Alexandria is quaint and pretty (but very similar to Annapolis, where you are already going), but the Smithsonian museums are downright boring. If you are into air and space, that one might be worth the trip, but I think the Dulles air and space museum is actually better than the DC location, although parking costs 15.00.

Historical places are numerous - right in Manassas there is the famous battlefield, and you might enjoy wandering there a little since you are so close. That's free.

One other special thing you might go see is Assateague. It's a part of the coast near OC and would be an easy stop. It is a beach, and very pretty, since it's a state park and there are no buildings there. There are wild horses there, which is the cool part. Hopefully they will not have rounded them up for winter - I believe they do that sometimes, although I don't know if they get all of them or just in some places.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:24 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
Sonic - Several members have replied providing multiple options. You can target your best experience by telling us what you personally enjoy most: Nature? History? Museums? Restaurants (type)? Shopping? Photo Ops? Sailing Opportunities? Cultural Events? How far do you want to travel from Manassas?

Baltimore Inner Harbor offers a lot for tourists. There are historic boats available for tour, museums, walking tours, etc. The Aquarium is really interesting but many visitors experience sticker shock for the entrance fee - around $30 a person. Lots of people enjoy the harbor ship tours. Historic Ships for pricing. There's a free Circulator Bus that goes to the prime tourist spots, plus a subway, and an overground light rail.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:51 PM

I disagree that the Smithsonians are "downright boring"! - There is also the Holocaust Museum, the WWII Memorial, the Pentagon Memorial.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:57 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I disagree that the Smithsonians are "downright boring"! - There is also the Holocaust Museum, the WWII Memorial, the Pentagon Memorial.

agreed. They are only boring if you find nothing interesting in American history, geology, biology, art, art history, ancient civilizations, modern civilizations, Native Americans, animals, plants, or pop culture.

If you like none of those things, you probably shouldn't go to the Smithsonian museums.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:26 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic99 View Post

It's about 5 miles from Inner Harbor, but I recommend visiting Ft. McHenry if you are into history. Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine (U.S. National Park Service)

If you like Italian pastries, within walking distance of Inner Harbor is the "little Italy" section of Baltimore, and Vaccaro's pastry shop. Excellent Connoli. https://www.vaccarospastry.com/

As a previous poster mentioned, the historical ships are interesting if you are into that kind of thing. Historic Ships
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia