Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 09:09 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,446,335 times

Advertisements

I'm a liberal, but this toll plan is utter garbage. It's completely inadequate and does NOTHING to fix the horrible design.
This is not Stauton, VA. This is the nations capital....to have a metro area this big with a road this small and NO mass transit past Vienna is absurd.

66 needs to be 6 lanes from the beltway to 267, then 8 lanes to Ballston, then 6 lanes through the remainder of Arlington.
Arlington county really pisses me off....they don't live in a vaccum. People come to DC and ARL for work and entertainment.
It's crowded at rush hour, both directions, along with nights and weekends.

WTF is tolling going to do for people who are going to Claredon or DC and stuck in bumper to bumper traffic?
This is 1980....NOVA grew....far beyond the capacity of 66 or metro. The ivory tower intellectual idiocy of Arlington nimbys is enough to make me vote in a republican if he can shove 6-8 lanes down Arlingtons 66 corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 05:20 PM

1,438 posts, read 782,642 times
Arlington should not have to suffer just because people in other jurisdictions made the stupid decision of living so far away from their workplace.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:59 PM

540 posts, read 792,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Arlington should not have to suffer just because people in other jurisdictions made the stupid decision of living so far away from their workplace.
This.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:46 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,282,283 times
Quote:

So you think everyone working inside the bestway/DC should live in Arlington or at least inside the beltway? Do you really think this is feasible? I have a relative who is armed security at a museum in DC. Do you really believe he could afford to live here? He has to commute from Warrenton where he has a home he and his family could afford. Don't be such a snob.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:16 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,541,934 times
All of Arlington doesn't oppose this crap. I for one don't. At this point, we are the county that doesn't support widening 66 because we want green friendly transit while at the same time cancelling the Columbia Pike Streetcar because it's too expensive. Basically our political leadership at this point has no ideas. I guess at least they listened to their NIMBY constituents.

Fortunately, the County leadership in the 80s had the backbone to get the Orange Line under Wilson Boulevard. If we had had the current Board, we would have the Orange Line down the center of 66 today because that would be the most politically expedient thing to do.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:25 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,701,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
So you think everyone working inside the bestway/DC should live in Arlington or at least inside the beltway? Do you really think this is feasible? I have a relative who is armed security at a museum in DC. Do you really believe he could afford to live here? He has to commute from Warrenton where he has a home he and his family could afford. Don't be such a snob.
Not only that, there is not enough housing in Arlington to accommodate everyone who *should* live there.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I'm a liberal, but this toll plan is utter garbage. It's completely inadequate and does NOTHING to fix the horrible design.
This is not Stauton, VA. This is the nations capital....to have a metro area this big with a road this small and NO mass transit past Vienna is absurd.

66 needs to be 6 lanes from the beltway to 267, then 8 lanes to Ballston, then 6 lanes through the remainder of Arlington.
Arlington county really pisses me off....they don't live in a vaccum. People come to DC and ARL for work and entertainment.
It's crowded at rush hour, both directions, along with nights and weekends.

WTF is tolling going to do for people who are going to Claredon or DC and stuck in bumper to bumper traffic?
This is 1980....NOVA grew....far beyond the capacity of 66 or metro. The ivory tower intellectual idiocy of Arlington nimbys is enough to make me vote in a republican if he can shove 6-8 lanes down Arlingtons 66 corridor.
There will be tons of buses and carpooling through the corridor when the HOT lanes get built outside of the Beltway. It will be much like the HOV/HOT lanes on 395 where you can take a bus into the city (and Arlington) in no more than 30 minutes.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:37 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,446,335 times
Quote:
But yet Arlington wants to reap the benefits by not limiting the amount of housing and instead having offices and clubs/bars which rely on outer suburb residents patronizing?
Give me a break, Arlington County does not live in a vaccum.
Either annex more land, supersize huge condo buildings, build the streetcar to provide housing for the MILLIONS pushed out in the burbs, or shut down all the bars and office buildings and move them closer to residents in the outer burn, or **** and stop this ignorant, political talking points.

Left wing social engineering is every bit as undesirable as right wing social engineering.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:15 AM

1,438 posts, read 782,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
But yet Arlington wants to reap the benefits by not limiting the amount of housing and instead having offices and clubs/bars which rely on outer suburb residents patronizing?
Give me a break, Arlington County does not live in a vaccum.
Either annex more land, supersize huge condo buildings, build the streetcar to provide housing for the MILLIONS pushed out in the burbs, or shut down all the bars and office buildings and move them closer to residents in the outer burn, or **** and stop this ignorant, political talking points.

Left wing social engineering is every bit as undesirable as right wing social engineering.
Ok yes I was partially trolling. But the fact is that the Interstate Highway System was never meant for commuting. It was meant for the military to be able to move across the country on wide roads and for long distance travel not for commuting within metropolitan areas. Besides the fact that Interstate 66 is two lanes within Arlington is the result of a political compromise. Arlington didn't want it built at all. Arlington finally agreed to it after the administration of Gerald Ford promised it would never expand beyond two lanes in Arlington in exchange for the county giving permission to build it at all.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:29 AM

The vast majority of people patronizing our bars/clubs are local Arlingtonians or Washingtonians (Rustico and Front Page in Ballston are probably only exceptions). That doesn't really matter though, it's beside the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia