Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 06:34 AM

27 posts, read 35,803 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

I just moved to Woodbridge and I work at the Mark Center in Alexandria. I am going to try out slugging to the Pentagon and then catching the first bus at 5:45a from the Pentagon to the Mark Center. My hours are from 6a-230p.

My question is, do you guys/gals think I would catch a ride to the pentagon that early in the morning? I was told the best slug lot for me to go to, since I work so early, would be the Horner Rd one. I was thinking I would get to the lot by 5am, and catch a ride to the Pentagon, so I could make it to the 5:45a bus to the Mark Center. Does anyone know if this is possible or would I have to change my shift to later hours?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 07:16 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
It used to be (before the HOT lanes) that if you were slugging, you couldn't get a slug or get a ride as a slug much before 6AM. With the HOT lanes being 24/7 now, I would imagine that it has gotten a little easier. I have 6AM-2:30PM work hours in DC. The ride is pretty sweet in the regular lanes when I live at 5:15AM. So there is really no incentive for me to pick up slugs at that time (closer to 5:30). I think 5AM is going to be tough but maybe not impossible. Thing is, at that time, there will be no guarantee (not that there ever is but you pretty much will get a ride as a slug closer to 6AM and later).

What are your plans for the ride home?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It used to be (before the HOT lanes) that if you were slugging, you couldn't get a slug or get a ride as a slug much before 6AM. With the HOT lanes being 24/7 now, I would imagine that it has gotten a little easier. I have 6AM-2:30PM work hours in DC. The ride is pretty sweet in the regular lanes when I live at 5:15AM. So there is really no incentive for me to pick up slugs at that time (closer to 5:30). I think 5AM is going to be tough but maybe not impossible. Thing is, at that time, there will be no guarantee (not that there ever is but you pretty much will get a ride as a slug closer to 6AM and later).

What are your plans for the ride home?
ah, ok. That really sucks...I want to keep the schedule I have now, but it seems like I may have to switch it to later hours.

My plans for the ride home would be to take the bus to the Pentagon and then slug from the Pentagon back to the slug lot.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:34 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdZDuBZ View Post
ah, ok. That really sucks...I want to keep the schedule I have now, but it seems like I may have to switch it to later hours.

My plans for the ride home would be to take the bus to the Pentagon and then slug from the Pentagon back to the slug lot.
I guess all of this is to avoid driving? Or do you have no parking? Just seems like a lot of effort.

Have you looked into direct car pools to the Mark Center?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I guess all of this is to avoid driving? Or do you have no parking? Just seems like a lot of effort.

Have you looked into direct car pools to the Mark Center?
yes, to avoid driving. I pay 100 bucks a month to park at the Mark Center and I believe it is a waste of money when I could just slug into work. Now that I live in Woodbridge, I would have to still pay the parking, the extra gas used, and the traffic coming home after I get off work. The reason I moved to Woodbridge was to be closer to my kids who live in Dale City.

I have not looked into that. I am not sure where I would look in order to find direct car pools to the Mark Center. I am going to inquire about it at work to see.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:20 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
OP: I used to work at the Mark Center. A huge portion of the workforce there lives down around Woodbridge, Stafford, etc. Plenty of people carpool or vanpool directly to the MC, and I think a lot of them also slug to the Pentagon. Once you're at work, you'll have access to online intranet sites where you can find a ride. There's also a good chance you could just find someone in your work unit who lives near you to carpool with every day.

Glad to see you're aware of the free shuttle from the Pentagon to the MC.

Re. parking: If you're up for a healthy walk, you can park for free on North Rosser, on the other side of Beauregard. I did that for about a year, till I got to the top of the wait list for parking. In your case, the driving commute will be so stressful I wouldn't think it's worth it. (And if you do that, you'd want to start work as early as they will let you--5:30 a.m., even.)

Old 11-01-2015, 04:33 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Default take the PRTC bus in the AM

There are commuter buses that leave Horner lot before major slugging begins. First one appears to be 4:50 am. The one at 5:20 is cutting it close to arrive at Pentagon and transfer to Marc bus ( stops between the two bus stops at Pentagon aren't close).
http://www.prtctransit.org/commuter-...ntagon-am.html

When they finish the off ramp from HOV to the MARK center you may want to find another option. Sometimes it's easier to find co workers to slug home but not slug in. At the place I worked, we had a mass email list for riders/slugs but only from work to Horner. Maybe MARK has one too.

If you drove, you could just drop the slugs and take a quick reverse trip from Pentagon to MARK center.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:44 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,042 times
In December, a new HOV ramp will be opened at Seminary Road with a direct shot to the Mark Center. When that opens, I would expect that you would be able to find sluggers directly to the Mark Center. I-395 HOV Ramp and Auxiliary Lane

Also, there is a shuttle bus from Springfield to the Mark Center: http://www.bracarlingtonva.us/defaul...s-Brochure.pdf. That would be better than going to the Pentagon because you're not going out of your way.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:42 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
RdzDubz, you're welcome.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:02 PM

687 posts, read 1,376,886 times
The PRTC buses will soon begin running from Woodbridge to the Mark Center.
Mark Center Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia