Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:51 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
I wish Northern VA could split from the rest of Virginia so it can go the way of West VA. Rural sticks full of backwoods and closed minded people.
"Full of" ??

Glad to see that you exercised your right to your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 11:06 AM

808 posts, read 1,679,209 times
Predominately. Not exclusively. But dominated by yes.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:09 AM

170 posts, read 199,411 times
This should be a stickied thread. Every month we get someone that doesn't want to live in NOVA and can't seem to find anything to do amidst the millions of amazing things in the area. Maybe they can all hang together.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:45 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
I wish Northern VA could split from the rest of Virginia so it can go the way of West VA. Rural sticks full of backwoods and closed minded people.

That said, I also don't know if I can stick it out in the area. I was born and raised here, and I mean, I like it, but at the same time I hate it. It is insanely expensive, and it's so, so, so hard to make friends.

Do you see the irony in your statement? You complain about "rural sticks full of backwoods and closed minded people". But you are being every bit as closed minded because you're judging everyone based on where they live.

All of Virginia has all kinds of people.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:10 PM

529 posts, read 751,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAnite View Post
POINTLESS RANT:

I've lived in NoVa for about a year and am completely frustrated with the area. Even the cheapest studio apartment is well out of reach for most working people. You work your 50 hour week and sit in traffic for two hours a each day and what the heck do you get for your effort?

- A rented room in another person's house
- no personal life because the culture here is work work work
- The tiny amount of money you're able to save despite NoVa's best efforts to take it from you

And if you really grind it out and try to make a life here you get what?

- A 450k townhouse
- Friendly Neighbors who will smile to your face.... and report you to the HOA if you paint your door the wrong color

END POINTLESS RANT

what am I missing here? I'm sure this area has fantastic things about it. I just probably have not seen them because of all the moping and complaining
You should have known about NoVa prior to moving here....

Are you not one of those members who create 'Moving to NOVA from XYZ...' threads everyday?

NoVa is for people who are ok with the flaws you mentioned about, but on the good side, you get good career boost (both in position and salary).

And for those people who have already well established in their field, also get very good salary.
If you are in contracting field, you could get long term contracting job in DC area, you probably won't get something like this in other metro areas.

Here you get to meet varieties of culture, people from different countries, top school districts etc.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:08 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
You should have known about NoVa prior to moving here....

Are you not one of those members who create 'Moving to NOVA from XYZ...' threads everyday?

NoVa is for people who are ok with the flaws you mentioned about, but on the good side, you get good career boost (both in position and salary).

And for those people who have already well established in their field, also get very good salary.
If you are in contracting field, you could get long term contracting job in DC area, you probably won't get something like this in other metro areas.

Here you get to meet varieties of culture, people from different countries, top school districts etc.
Yep, and therein lies the rub. Nice bucolic towns with friendly natives who've been there for generations and cheap housing generally don't have vibrant job markets.

I always gets me that when people come here "for the money" they are shocked about the cost of living and then complain and never get past it. I mean, do you really think that an area pays a lot of money but has cheap apartments? Where does that ever happen?

Also, I realize everyone has a different perspective, but I don't see the "work, work, work" mentality described by the original poster. I think that very much has to do with your career field. I do know several accountants who work for the big firms that are worked to death. Other than that, even when I was in the private sector, I rarely had to work more than a 40 hour week.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:19 PM

795 posts, read 1,009,955 times
Get ready OP here we go.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:06 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yep, and therein lies the rub. Nice bucolic towns with friendly natives who've been there for generations and cheap housing generally don't have vibrant job markets.

I always gets me that when people come here "for the money" they are shocked about the cost of living and then complain and never get past it. I mean, do you really think that an area pays a lot of money but has cheap apartments? Where does that ever happen?

Also, I realize everyone has a different perspective, but I don't see the "work, work, work" mentality described by the original poster. I think that very much has to do with your career field. I do know several accountants who work for the big firms that are worked to death. Other than that, even when I was in the private sector, I rarely had to work more than a 40 hour week.
Much of this plus the "so hard to make friends" part. We've never had difficulty making friends ( and god acquaintances) with people in the neighborhood and with people from work.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:47 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
* good acquaintances

Old 11-05-2015, 05:03 PM

549 posts, read 625,842 times
Live near a Metro stop.

Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia