Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 03:28 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,212,525 times

Advertisements

I have some spare money at hand, and would like to buy a small condo to rent out. Is it a good time to buy a small condo in NoVA? Given the interest rate may keep going up.

Not really looking for positive cash flow, as long as it can break even mortgage/tax, etc, I will be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 03:53 PM

529 posts, read 752,885 times
Remember you have condo fee which ranges from $400 onward....

Old 11-10-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
Remember you have condo fee which ranges from $400 onward....
Yes, it will be part of cost.

Condo does not require much maintenance. If I have time, I would consider townhouse.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:47 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,433,243 times
Put it in the stock market or an REIT if you want real investment exposure.

No one knows if "now" is a good time, ask anyone who bought their first condo in 2006 how it worked out for them.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:33 PM

9,895 posts, read 14,191,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post

Not really looking for positive cash flow, as long as it can break even mortgage/tax, etc, I will be happy.
Why in the world would you look to invest in something where you are just "breaking even"? Might as well stash that money under a mattress.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Why in the world would you look to invest in something where you are just "breaking even"? Might as well stash that money under a mattress.
At least 30 yrs later, you have an extra house.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:49 PM

274 posts, read 349,677 times
It depends on if you want to have investment properties or not. Interest rates are still low and prices are somewhat stable. So if you want to build a portfolio of investment properties, I say go for it. If you have nothing invested in mutual funds or retirement, then I would start there first. Where are you considering purchasing said condo?

Old 11-10-2015, 08:03 PM

9,895 posts, read 14,191,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
At least 30 yrs later, you have an extra house.
Not sure I follow....when I retire, I will need cash not an extra house. So, if I was investing, I'd look for something that has a better rate of return, to allow for more cash. I would never look to "break even" with my cash.

If you can pay for the condo directly; and you break even- then there is no difference than putting the money under the mattress.

If you are mortgaging the condo, and you just "break even" every month; you are actually losing money long term.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:14 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,463,944 times
Condo fees also increase with assessments, hence, I would look to a townhouse. You can always hire maintenance workers when the time comes, as well as hire a landscape company and include the cost in the rent to maintain the property, which would be a minimal cost in a townhouse. However, if you're investing for the sake of potential return, there are many pitfalls, and you need to look in areas with historically stable prices. Condos make sense in urban environments, IMO, not in suburbs because when the condo fees are factored, you could likely have a townhouse for the same money. And, if you're not contracting with a property management company, you're essentially taking on a part-time job as a landlord, the number of hours dependent upon the number of properties in your portfolio and the condition, not to mention avoiding "needy" tenants who think a burned out light bulb is an emergency.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-11-2015, 05:22 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,699,343 times
The only place I'd buy and "investment" condo or townhouse is in an area close in to a big workcenter (i.e., just outside of DC). After that, it's not really much of an investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia