Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 04:17 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,352 times

Advertisements

Everytime I drive the Outer Loop from Tysons/MD to I-66...I'm struck by how as the Outer Loop approaches DTR/267...it is awesomely designed with more than enough through lanes, medians, and sightlines to accomodate the weaving traffic.

Just as horribly though is the Outer Loop right after the last Tyson's exit before I-66 (Route 7 I believe).
Just as well done the Outer Loop to DTR/267 was built, the Route 7 to I-66 section is unacceptable.
You have Two lanes from Rt 7 merging with no auxillory/ramp to ramp connection. Instead, the two merging lanes vanish for maybe .5 of mile before we get a 5th lane to assist with traffic exiting to I-66.

This sub-standard design is compounded by having no median space between I-495 local/express. I just do not understand why VDOT did such a half assed measure. I-66 is a huge interchange...it needs to have a very wide Right of Way on the Beltway as the Beltway has just north of DTR/267.
Moreover there is NO REASON WHY Route 7 should merge and the Outer Loop be stuck at just 4 lanes.
There should be 5 if not 6 lanes from Tysons to I-66.

I do not understand, there is clearly enough room to squeeze one more lane, if not two+median space...there is no more obstruction south of Tysons than just north. So my questions:

1) WTF is it this way?
2) Are there ANY plans, maybe with I-66, to improve?
3) Conspiracy theory...I bet they did this DELIBERATELY to create congestion and force people to pay and take the HOT lanes. Either that, or they are lazy/stupid or all the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 05:28 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
If I remember correctly, the merge with the DTR was not always so great. It was always backed up there. Then a few years ago they added another merge lane, I believe, and it made it much better.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
If I remember correctly, the merge with the DTR was not always so great. It was always backed up there. Then a few years ago they added another merge lane, I believe, and it made it much better.
It also is VERY wide...there is a big median and separation between the HOT and regular lanes...don't understand (other than induced demand for the HOT lanes) why Route 7 to I-66 is not wider.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:20 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Everytime I drive the Outer Loop from Tysons/MD to I-66...I'm struck by how as the Outer Loop approaches DTR/267...it is awesomely designed with more than enough through lanes, medians, and sightlines to accomodate the weaving traffic.

Just as horribly though is the Outer Loop right after the last Tyson's exit before I-66 (Route 7 I believe).
Just as well done the Outer Loop to DTR/267 was built, the Route 7 to I-66 section is unacceptable.
You have Two lanes from Rt 7 merging with no auxillory/ramp to ramp connection. Instead, the two merging lanes vanish for maybe .5 of mile before we get a 5th lane to assist with traffic exiting to I-66.

This sub-standard design is compounded by having no median space between I-495 local/express. I just do not understand why VDOT did such a half assed measure. I-66 is a huge interchange...it needs to have a very wide Right of Way on the Beltway as the Beltway has just north of DTR/267.
Moreover there is NO REASON WHY Route 7 should merge and the Outer Loop be stuck at just 4 lanes.
There should be 5 if not 6 lanes from Tysons to I-66.

I do not understand, there is clearly enough room to squeeze one more lane, if not two+median space...there is no more obstruction south of Tysons than just north. So my questions:

1) WTF is it this way?
2) Are there ANY plans, maybe with I-66, to improve?
3) Conspiracy theory...I bet they did this DELIBERATELY to create congestion and force people to pay and take the HOT lanes. Either that, or they are lazy/stupid or all the above.
On Google maps it looks like one of the lanes from Rt.7 does connect to the exit for 66. Am I misunderstanding you?

Old 11-23-2015, 06:20 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
On Google maps it looks like one of the lanes from Rt.7 does connect to the exit for 66. Am I misunderstanding you?
Look closely. The on ramp lane from Route 7 just disappears like 30 feet after getting on 495.

I whole heartedly agree with the OP. Every time I drive through this area I think what a disaster it is and how horribly designed it is. Unfortunately, I don't think it's part of any current planned improvements.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:21 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Look closely. The on ramp lane from Route 7 just disappears like 30 feet after getting on 495.
I don't see that, but I'm trying. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8920.../data=!3m1!1e3

I guess I'll just have to drive it myself and see.

Edit: Looked again and now I see what you mean. I agree the entrance lane should continue all the way to the exit for 66.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:43 PM

There's ample room....I bet Transurban stipulated there be a bottleneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia