Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:27 PM

404 posts, read 1,095,185 times

Advertisements

On my way to work on Wednesday , I saw one of those emergency vehicles that will pull over at accident sites to divert traffic with the blinking sign on the back of the truck. When I passed, I saw a dog sitting down in the shoulder near the center of the road, panting and bleeding from it's hind quarters. It appeared to be a black lab. The dog was obviously alive, but probably mortally injured. It saddened me a great deal because it was obviously someone's pet and here it was dying on the side of 495 after an impact with a car. The workers were standing around. I assumed they had just arrived and were getting ready to either put the poor mutt out of his or her misery or try and get it to a Vet for some emergency care. Very sad.

The next morning, I passed the same spot and noticed the now dead dog in the same place, untouched, and I became I was extremely upset. The dog's carcass has remained undisturbed since (as of Friday morning). I know it's not the emergency worker's duty to take care of this, but isn't there someone that could have? To stand around watching someone's pet suffer and die without attempting to help, and then deciding to just leave the body to rot there because it wasn't their responsibility? I wanted to call someone to lodge a complaint, but had no idea who to contact.

This isn't a question really, but more of a comment. I'd like to get some feedback from the posters here on whether or not they believe the action was appropriate, and also if proper procedure was followed. Additionally, does anyone know who I could lodge a complaint with?

Thanks.. Not a great post, but one I feel I had to get of my chest as it bothered me because of the astounding lack of empathy displayed by the workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 08:38 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
I'm amazed at the so called "Animal Control" around here. Their sole purpose seems to be to patrol parks looking to give tickets for leash infractions. When I called to ask if they would remove a dead animal from in front of my house they informed me they don't do that and told me to throw it in the trash. Seems like a part of the county budget that should be cut.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:55 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,833 times
Probably so that the owners, potentially retracing their steps as to where they last saw the dog could then find it?? Kind of like when someone loses a glove and people will leave it where they found it?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:03 PM

404 posts, read 1,095,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Probably so that the owners, potentially retracing their steps as to where they last saw the dog could then find it?? Kind of like when someone loses a glove and people will leave it where they found it?
If I were looking for a missing pet, I would love to find it decaying on the side of a major highway. I'm assuming the dog probably had tags. There aren't too many strays in the burbs along 495..

No offense.. but I think that's a rather lame "strategy"

Old 06-26-2010, 09:37 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
It's very sad that in a county with the resources that Fairfax has, that they could not get an animal control van there to assist/recover the remains. If nothing else, a domestic animal by the side of a highway is a traffic hazzard, since it will attract the attention of passing motorists more than a wild animal would.

I have stopped to help lost/injured animals, and am a private citizen, so I agree that it's appalling that the proper authorities were not dispatched to properly clear the accident scene.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I have stopped to help lost/injured animals, and am a private citizen, so I agree that it's appalling that the proper authorities were not dispatched to properly clear the accident scene.
Too busy casing the parks along the GW Parkway looking for owners letting their dogs go for a run.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:19 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
It's very sad that in a county with the resources that Fairfax has, that they could not get an animal control van there to assist/recover the remains. If nothing else, a domestic animal by the side of a highway is a traffic hazzard, since it will attract the attention of passing motorists more than a wild animal would.

I agree.

As for who to call to complain -- I would start with Chairman Sharon Bulova's office (703-324-2321). Her staff will likely contact VDOT.

Chairman Sharon Bulova*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 06-27-2010, 08:59 AM

262 posts, read 582,849 times
After calling animal control about removing a dead deer along the side of the road near my house, I was told they do not remove animal carcasses. I would have to call the state road department. I called and it was removed a few days later.

That being said, I read your post with tears in my eyes. Poor dog! I can't imagine animal control not trying to catch the animal (how hard could it be if it was badly injured). Isn't that part of their job? Maybe it died while they were there and since they don't remove dead animals, they left it for the SRD to remove. Sad sad sad.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:03 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,726,302 times
Jesco White -- I happened to see this posting on craigslist. Might this match the description of the dog that you saw?

Lost Dog - Annandale (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/laf/1810490773.html - broken link)

http://images.craigslist.org/3n93p93l25Y35Q55S2a6pbd09ea4aafc21cbe.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-27-2010, 10:20 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,345 times
How awful! I probably would have pulled over and taken it to a vet myself. I love dogs a lot and couldn't stand seeing this. How could those workers just stand there and do nothing? I feel so bad for that dog and it's family...I have toddlers and they would be heartbroken if something happened to their dog...especially if something may have saved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia