Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:27 AM

6 posts, read 6,776 times

Advertisements

After a few posts and research I thought Ashburn will be it to purchase a home. After doing more research we are starting to consider Winchester (and Purcellville). You get more for the money than Ashburn. Detached home was going to be a bit of sacrifice... but seems like we might not have to.

Why are these big and beautiful homes in Winchester more affordable? How is life there? How is safety? How are the schools? The commute to the job is not an issue. I want to know if we are better of in Ashburn.

We have two boys under 4.

Thank you for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 04:59 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,444,707 times
The houses in Winchester are more affordable because they are generally outside of the Northern Virginia job market. Depending on where your job is, it could be a very nasty commute. The small mountain between Round Hill and Berryville is very deceiving -- fog, snow, ice, even rain can cause accidents and there are very, very few alternate routes (and those are miles and miles out of the way).

Best of luck.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:13 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Moving to Winchester is a sacrifice too though... from a commuting standpoint, if you're going to be working anywhere in Northern Virginia/DC.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:50 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalilies View Post
The commute to the job is not an issue.
I know you say this isn't an issue, but your previous posts says your husband's job is in Reston. If he is commuting to Reston, this will be an issue. (Possibly something he can live with, but a huge issue.)

The commute from Winchester to Reston will take about 1.5 hours, assuming he leaves before 7 am every morning. And it will cost him about $15 in tolls each day. Is three hours and $15 per day worth it? Only you can decide. And please heed LynchburgLovers advice. Rt 7 is often very treacherous over the mountain.

So, assuming commute is really not an issue, here are the differences between them:

Ashburn - Very, very family friendly. Very cookie cutter housing stock; the entire thing is a planned community. Schools are very good. The people who live their tend to be professionals and work along the tech corridor on the Dulles Toll Road and into DC. As other threads have pointed out, Ashburn has a diverse population. You'll find most families are "on the go" at all times.

Winchester - Much more of a small town feel. A larger population of blue collar; most people will be employed much closer to Winchester. (Doesn't mean there aren't many professionals in Winchester, just more blue collar than Ashburn.) You'll find the vibe to be more laid back, and the area is much more homogeneous. I'm not sure about schools here, but if you do your research, I'm sure you'll be able to find good schools in the area.

Purcellville - A mix of both of the above; but with each year that passes, more and more like Ashburn.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:26 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,631 times
I really hope your husband to spend $15 a day on tolls because commuting to Reston from Winchester on 7 every day would make me either suicidal or homicidal.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I really hope your husband to spend $15 a day on tolls because commuting to Reston from Winchester on 7 every day would make me either suicidal or homicidal.
You can't even get on 267 (Greenway/ Toll Road) until Leesburg. From Winchester, you must take 7 until Leesburg. (You could take Rt 50 to Chantilly, but that doesn't make sense going to Reston.)

Rt. 7 from Leesburg to Winchester is a lovely drive.....on weekends...with no traffic....and no bad weather. At other times, it is a real crap shoot.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You can't even get on 267 (Greenway/ Toll Road) until Leesburg. From Winchester, you must take 7 until Leesburg. (You could take Rt 50 to Chantilly, but that doesn't make sense going to Reston.)

Rt. 7 from Leesburg to Winchester is a lovely drive.....on weekends...with no traffic....and no bad weather. At other times, it is a real crap shoot.
I just don't get why people, if they can afford it, who work in the area insist on living super far out? Even if you can get bigger bang for your buck or if you feel like the whole overcrowded suburbia thing isn't for you, moving places far out isn't worth the headache.

For people who can't afford it that's another issue but people who do a little research on the area, knowing how brutally awful traffic is around here (the worst in the country appearently) why would you put yourself through that? I don't get it.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I just don't get why people, if they can afford it, who work in the area insist on living super far out? Even if you can get bigger bang for your buck or if you feel like the whole overcrowded suburbia thing isn't for you, moving places far out isn't worth the headache.

For people who can't afford it that's another issue but people who do a little research on the area, knowing how brutally awful traffic is around here (the worst in the country appearently) why would you put yourself through that? I don't get it.
I choose to live far out for multiple reasons, the main reason is that I would NEVER be able to find the same living experience (walkable, non-urban, quaint village completely surrounded by some of the most beautiful countryside in the country) anywhere closer in.

I have everything I need with a five block radius; yet nothing I don't want. There are no fast food or big box stores.

Would my life be even better if I didn't have to commute to DC? Sure. But that is the one sacrifice I make. And after living out here over five years, I still say the commute from here is a thousand times better than the commute when I lived 45 minutes closer.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I choose to live far out for multiple reasons, the main reason is that I would NEVER be able to find the same living experience (walkable, non-urban, quaint village completely surrounded by some of the most beautiful countryside in the country) anywhere closer in.

I have everything I need with a five block radius; yet nothing I don't want. There are no fast food or big box stores.

Would my life be even better if I didn't have to commute to DC? Sure. But that is the one sacrifice I make. And after living out here over five years, I still say the commute from here is a thousand times better than the commute when I lived 45 minutes closer.
Hmmm... Very true. When you explain it that way that makes sense. And I guess it does work out for some people so not everyone has a long commute despite living far out.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:45 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,120 times
I wouldn't live in Winchester if I worked in Winchester. I don't own enough camouflaged things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia