Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 04:51 PM

31 posts, read 79,728 times

Advertisements

Our budget is 1M-1.2M...we'd be at the high end in McLean for a modest home and low end in Aldie for a nicer home (although not a custom feel). You mentioned that I could find employment easier based in Mclean and you hit the nail on the head. I was a Federal employee before and if I needed or wanted to go back to work it would be in Alexandria, DC or Bethesda and be a doable commute McLean. If we move to Aldie I might find a work from home job but couldn't guarantee it would be a decent salary. I'm not even sure that I will go back to work but having the option in case something happens with my husband's job would be a reassurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 03:55 PM

1,533 posts, read 2,272,348 times
Sounds like you need to make a list of what your priorities are. Honestly, in reading your other posts I would opt not to tie up $$ in a house, lessening your risks and the potential need for you to find employment.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:20 AM

8 posts, read 13,747 times
We live on the Aldie side of Willowsford and we simply love it. There are tons of kids, really of all ages. Seems to be pulling people from local communities as well as others from outside of the area. The community feel in our one year here has been amazing, very welcoming. Some very well done community events as well. Willowsford has so much to offer - trails, farm, gorgeous pools, swim team, fitness center, lodge, small lake with fishing and canoeing, Cooking classes. It is a lot of fun being a part of this new concept. It may not be for everyone, but I have never lived anywhere were people loved their neighborhood so much. Worth the commute - IMHO.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:30 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,323,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btingle76 View Post
Sorry to hijack- I'm sure that the commute to Tyson's from Aldie is probably too much for the original poster. For those of you familiar, what do you think of the commute to Herndon? We are exploring the Mclean area as well- the house wouldn't be as nice and it would cost more, but there are other advantages because of the location and I could go back to work if needed which adds a little financial security. It's been a very hard decision for us since we have family in Aldie but are used to living closer in (we're in Alexandria now). For those of you that are familiar with the Adlie commute, would you choose McLean if it was possible?
It's not like Mclean and Aldie are that far apart. My mom lives in the Aldie area and we're in Tysons and I don't find it an inconvenience at all. Can I zip over to her house real quick to borrow some milk? No. But it doesn't impede us from seeing each other as much as we want or her seeing my kids as much as she wants. Like you I don't want to move far out(although we considered it) because of the potential issues with finding employment if I ever change jobs again, even though I currently work in Dulles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia