Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 4,162 times

Advertisements

We're moving from California and have no idea what the areas are like.

We're looking for:
- a place to rent for at least a year
- somewhere safe (we have a one year old)
- i'm okay with favoring a shorter commute for my wife that doesn't involve the freeway
- cost isn't a huge issue

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 07:55 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandersun View Post
We're moving from California and have no idea what the areas are like.

We're looking for:
- a place to rent for at least a year
- somewhere safe (we have a one year old)
- i'm okay with favoring a shorter commute for my wife that doesn't involve the freeway
- cost isn't a huge issue

Thanks in advance!
Cost may not be a huge issue but we need to know if you want to spend $900 or $9000 a month on a place.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:10 PM

Below $4000 a month and 2-3 bedrooms would be ideal.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:53 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
I assume you're both driving, so I'd go outside the beltway since the housing is cheaper and you don't need to rely need on buses/metro.

Vienna would be kind of in the middle and is a really nice area. A little further west is Oakton which would make your wife's commute shorter. Reston is good too, but that might be too far for your commute (and the toll road is there). Vienna is probably the most expensive, but you won't have any issues finding 3br there given your budget, so that would be my first choice.

Driving back from Bethesda is gonna be rough no matter what so it's a question of how much do you want to sit on the beltway to shorten your wife's drive.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:21 AM

997 posts, read 1,311,653 times
I agree about Reston and Oakton. If you can find a rental home in Oakton that would be a nice balance.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:37 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
So one of you is screwed with your commute and will be crossing the river since she works in VA and you work in MD. I would live in VA which will make your commute longer, but living in VA and working in MD is less painful than the opposite(living in MD and working in VA). In the case of the latter your wife's commute would be hellacious.

If price is not a factor honestly I'd look at the Tysons/Vienna area like someone mentioned previously. I live there right off Gallows road very close to the beltway(495) and my commute to MD for 6 years wasn't bad at all. You could probably do Bethesda driving in about an 45 min- 1 hr on average. There's metros closeby too if you wanted to go that route. And your wife's commute to Chantilly would be ok since she's going against rush hour traffic.

The guy before me mentioned Reston. That's fine too, but it's further west making your commute to MD longer. And you'd have to use the tollroad, which you wouldn't have to do in the Vienna/Tysons area if you're close to 495. Reston is generally cheaper than Vienna, but since you mentioned price isn't an issue...

Another option could be the Merrifield area, which is a little south of Vienna/Tysons. There's been a lot of development there and it's a pretty nice area and you're still close to the beltway, and your wife's commute wouldn't be bad. Good luck w whatever you decide

Old 12-30-2015, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. That is very helpful. I think we'll start looking at Oakton first.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:44 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
I'd look closer to the VA/MD border, since the traffic going over the Potomac, both ways, is usually awful. Every day. Even on weekends (I've been living in the Tysons area for over two years now).

And since both of you are driving, I would try to avoid living someplace where both of you have to take the toll road everyday. Over a year, that would be like an extra month's rent. Not a deal breaker, I'm sure, but an added expense that can easily be avoided.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:09 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Oakton to Chantilly commute would be a breeze. There are several different options and you would be going against traffic. You could find a very nice rental home in Oakton or Vienna for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia