Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:00 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,005,317 times

Advertisements

Maybe you should try a privately owned apartment. If you are good tenants, and this is not some kind of city or county law, people will probably be willing to rent you whatever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 08:25 PM

29 posts, read 59,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Maybe you should try a privately owned apartment. If you are good tenants, and this is not some kind of city or county law, people will probably be willing to rent you whatever you want.
Thanks, I will look into that and see what the rates are like.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:56 AM

239 posts, read 281,402 times
Unless you're in a town or village in VA, I imagine the occupancy limits are set by the county.

In Loudoun, they can be found here https://www.loudoun.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/5442, which states that if you want to put 2 people to a room, you need at least 100 square feet.

I have two kids in a room measuring 12x13, a full size bed and a crib. it's tight, but with bunk beds it'd be fairly roomy.

Interesting that it not only applies to bed room, but there are limits for living room and kitchen and dining room as well.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:50 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,018,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Good idea, except for one thing---there are far too many people who make illegal apartments in their basements. This is problematic for three reasons 1) An illegal apartment may not have proper egress in the event of a fire. Some have no private exits nor do they have large enough windows to provide a means of escape; 2) If it is an illegal apartment, the surrounding neighbors just might report it and get it shut down; 3) Parking may be a problem.

So, if you go the privately owned apartment rule, use due diligence and be sure that the landlord has permission to have an apartment on site.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:51 AM

28 posts, read 31,643 times
HI Rosalie,

As many here have said, and for most of the reasons they mention, many NoVA apartment complexes will say the same as what you've heard from yours. I like what the one poster said, who thought that 18 months or less did not require their own room, and personally might even extend that age limit a little. But, I don't make the rules. Mnseca suggests trying private rentals, which is exactly where my brain was going, too. There are lots of different sites to poke around on...certainly Craigslist, Hotpads.com, mrishomes.com, and then there's this helpful article, too: The 22 Best Websites For Finding Rentals, Homes, Movers And Even Pet-Friendly Pads

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Richard H.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:00 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,018,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesRAH View Post
HI Rosalie,

As many here have said, and for most of the reasons they mention, many NoVA apartment complexes will say the same as what you've heard from yours. I like what the one poster said, who thought that 18 months or less did not require their own room, and personally might even extend that age limit a little. But, I don't make the rules. Mnseca suggests trying private rentals, which is exactly where my brain was going, too. There are lots of different sites to poke around on...certainly Craigslist, Hotpads.com, mrishomes.com, and then there's this helpful article, too: The 22 Best Websites For Finding Rentals, Homes, Movers And Even Pet-Friendly Pads

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Richard H.
Do any of those sites have listings that are illegal apartments?

Old 01-18-2016, 06:49 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,005,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Good idea, except for one thing---there are far too many people who make illegal apartments in their basements. This is problematic for three reasons 1) An illegal apartment may not have proper egress in the event of a fire. Some have no private exits nor do they have large enough windows to provide a means of escape; 2) If it is an illegal apartment, the surrounding neighbors just might report it and get it shut down; 3) Parking may be a problem.

So, if you go the privately owned apartment rule, use due diligence and be sure that the landlord has permission to have an apartment on site.
You definitely have to do due diligence, but for all the illegal apartments there are many perfectly good places, especially condos or very small apartment buildings. We had a lot of good luck with private rentals before we owned a home, and we even own a rental unit ourselves. Most likely if it's in a basement and it's super cheap, it's not a legitimate rental.

We always used Craigslist to find rentals, and we advertise our own units that way exclusively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia