Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 03:08 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I'm only in my 30s so hopefully I don't offend you too, but I concur loads of young people live in Arlington and DC. Dare I say more live there than in Reston/Fairfax/Loudoun? Not everyone is the same but what ChristineVA said is true for lots of 20 somethings so it's a valid point. Most people aren't touting Arlington as the be all/end all but when young people from other areas ask where is a good place to go out and meet people, obviously Arlington and DC will come up. We never went to Reston Town Center in our 20s. It was always Arlington or DC. Not everyone in their mid 20s likes to go out and party/socialize, but if you do you'll end up there most of the time.

OP, Falls Church City could be a good compromise for you. Like I said in my previous post, shoot for being near the intersection of route 7 and 29. I lived there for a good part of my late 20s/early 30s and it was a great area. Nice walkability to some restaurants/bars/breweries. You'll still end up in Arlington a lot probably if you're trying to socialize but you'll be much closer and you'll have stuff to do near you when you don't feel like making the trip.
Thanks! And to Ffxdata, I definitely understand your points. But the OP was pretty clear that he wanted to socialize, meet people, and go out. Besides my 25 y/o daughter, I'm around many, many 20-somethings at work. The spend a lot of time in Arlington and DC. I don't just mean on Saturday nights. They often stay after work and have dinner with friends during the week and so on. Those that live in the burbs and have to manage their way home aren't thrilled. If the OP is very social, then he needs to get himself closer to those areas. If it's a once in awhile thing, then a suburb is going to be fine.

Also, yes, roommates are the only way to make it happen in Arlington/DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 582 times
FC and Mosaic District.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:07 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Thanks! And to Ffxdata, I definitely understand your points. But the OP was pretty clear that he wanted to socialize, meet people, and go out. Besides my 25 y/o daughter, I'm around many, many 20-somethings at work. The spend a lot of time in Arlington and DC. I don't just mean on Saturday nights. They often stay after work and have dinner with friends during the week and so on. Those that live in the burbs and have to manage their way home aren't thrilled. If the OP is very social, then he needs to get himself closer to those areas. If it's a once in awhile thing, then a suburb is going to be fine.

Also, yes, roommates are the only way to make it happen in Arlington/DC.
It sounds like--from what you are saying--that you and your coworkers work in Arlington and that they stay in Arlington after work to socialize. Of course living in Arlington would be ideal for those people. Even though it's more expensive, they have no commute and are close to people their age. As the OP says, he will be working in Chantilly.

City of Falls Church and Mosaic are both awesome options.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 3,391 times
Again thank you for your suggestions. This has been awesome. I think for my situation living near the metro would be ideal. I am getting a company vehicle so if I do go out and decide to even have 1 drink, I won't want to drive (Something I didn't really think about until after everyone's suggestions). The metro allows me the chance to not worry about that at all. It's also nice to hear not everyone my age is living in Arlington/DC because I do like the idea of being able to afford my own place, especially after living with 3 roommates throughout college. The negative of living near the metro means that I will be farther from work in Chantilly and I am aware of the amazingly fun traffic that is down there. The commute vs. social life are two of my biggest weighing factors at this point. I think I am narrowing it down to Falls Church City, Fairfax Corner, and Mosaic District.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 AM

857 posts, read 850,031 times
Also keep in mind the Uber option; let's you have a few and not worry about metro/driving home.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:33 AM

857 posts, read 850,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by great poster View Post
Fairfax Corner is a great place to live if you are Islamic. It seems like half the women have headscrafs on there. Exciting and very multicultural.

Haha, you mean Muslim?

Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkronGuy View Post
The negative of living near the metro means that I will be farther from work in Chantilly and I am aware of the amazingly fun traffic that is down there. The commute vs. social life are two of my biggest weighing factors at this point. I think I am narrowing it down to Falls Church City, Fairfax Corner, and Mosaic District.
Actually you would be going against traffic. If you lived in Mosaic District or Falls Church you probably wouldn't hit ANY traffic at all. Everyone is going east on 50 and 66 in the mornings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Haha, you mean Muslim?
'Murica 16

Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,417,044 times
Just want to add, I like the Mosasic District but if someone is contemplating between Mosasic and Tysons they should absolutely go with Tysons. While Mosasic is nice, it's really just a large town center whereas Tysons is a much larger area overall, much more to do and offers more especially for younger people imo.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:44 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
It sounds like--from what you are saying--that you and your coworkers work in Arlington and that they stay in Arlington after work to socialize. Of course living in Arlington would be ideal for those people. Even though it's more expensive, they have no commute and are close to people their age. As the OP says, he will be working in Chantilly.

City of Falls Church and Mosaic are both awesome options.
In most instances, yes, the are working in DC and living in Arlington and DC. There's a few who work in Manassas and near Quantico that are living in Arlington.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 3,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Actually you would be going against traffic. If you lived in Mosaic District or Falls Church you probably wouldn't hit ANY traffic at all. Everyone is going east on 50 and 66 in the mornings.

I've heard Tysons Corner is nightmare when it comes to traffic. So I take it Falls Church might be a better option for my commute. Both have access to a nearby metro which would be nice for enjoying weekends in Arlington and dc. I'm liking the idea of Living in Falls Church.

'Murica 16
'Murica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia