Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:23 PM

3,260 posts, read 2,354,522 times

Advertisements

Do you support saving your parking space with a lawn chair or cones? https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5ce_story.html

Since I wouldn't want my car vandalized, I respect the lawn chair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 06:28 PM

9,893 posts, read 14,179,632 times
While I completely get that a lot of effort went into clearing the space; there are inevitably going to be more cars than spaces. So, think of the opposite side of the conversation. Let's say you got stuck in SC during the blizzard. When you finally make your way home, should you never be allowed to park your car because you didn't have the "privilege" of being parked there during the storm?

Old 01-27-2016, 06:32 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,487,264 times
Not in public, no. If I had to clear my car out, I am assuming someone else will come along and take it because it's PUBLIC space that they paid for as much as I did.

However, when I lived in a gated community, management sent around flyers whenever it snowed for people to only park in the spaces they cleared out themselves. There was plenty of parking and no need to play musical spaces.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:49 AM

857 posts, read 847,996 times
While I would love to reserve the space I dug out, I understand that it is a public street with everyone having an equal right to park. I did have to circle the block a few times yesterday because my spot was taken and I ended up parking in another cleared one just up the street. I was trying to find one a bit further away from the neighbors to leave a couple open spots for them, but didn't have any luck finding anything further away.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:57 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,539,153 times
Personally I just get annoyed that I'm fighting for residential spaces with the stupid Gold's Gym Rats and the suburbanites. If I were fighting with other people that lived in my neighborhood it would be a different story.

But that's really just the county's fault. They need to restrict more parking for residents.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,503,222 times
No, but I do not have to worry about it anymore. When I lived in areas that I had to worry about this I was helping people dig their cars out and push cars up hills.

Also when I dealt with snow in the past I have always had 4 wheel drive trucks and would make my own space. When I left people would use it.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:28 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,322,936 times
If there's limited parking I think it's first come first serve. Just because you dug out your car doesn't mean you own the space until the snow melts. Who says someone else wouldn't have been happy to dig you out for the spot if given the chance?

If there's lots of parking and not much snow deterring someone(like an inch or two) then I think they should just dig their own spot rather than park in one someone else dug out. But a lot of times they pile the snow so high clearing it people can't dig out the spots that are blocked.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:45 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,361,445 times
no, understand that if you move it, you lose it.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:50 AM

232 posts, read 362,523 times
While I understand that putting in the hard work to dig out the snow is no easy task, reality is that to even think for one tiny moment that someone isn't going to park in an open space is very unrealistic. If it was your own private parking spot or driveway, totally different. Otherwise, public street is just that..public.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:35 PM

808 posts, read 1,680,659 times
I live in an apartment which has its own parking lot. There are no assigned spaces however. With that said, if I dug it out, it's mine. Or at least I wish that was the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia