Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 04:35 PM

11 posts, read 7,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Are you talking about a prefab mobile home? Is that what you mean by metal?
i read up little bit, i think the single house has STEEL frame, that is what i meant by metal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 08:13 AM

318 posts, read 368,388 times
The best homes are built now, the stringent building codes and always increasing building code requirements that get stricter every five years. The biggest change was after hurricane Catrina.

The idea that new homes aren't going to last or they don't build them like they used to is a myth. Granted you could make the case that cosmetic craftsmanship may have waned, structural is of the highest quality ever.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:00 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,266,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcyolo View Post
The best homes are built now, the stringent building codes and always increasing building code requirements that get stricter every five years. The biggest change was after hurricane Catrina.

The idea that new homes aren't going to last or they don't build them like they used to is a myth. Granted you could make the case that cosmetic craftsmanship may have waned, structural is of the highest quality ever.
I would agree with you if it's a custom built home by a reputable builder. If they build 1-5 homes in an area VS a builder trying to build 50plus homes. Way too many of my friends bought in these large developments where one builder did the work and most were facing issues almost from the start. My daughter and son in law bought down in Jax, NC in a development of about 30 homes and the builder bailed out before finishing the last few. They've had issues they cannot get resolved due to this adam henry. Our house is custom built and built by its first owner back in 2007 using a local builder and the quality here surpasses even our desired expectations. Not to say that there are no large scale builders who cannot do a good job but give me the smaller builder anytime.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I would agree with you if it's a custom built home by a reputable builder. If they build 1-5 homes in an area VS a builder trying to build 50plus homes. Way too many of my friends bought in these large developments where one builder did the work and most were facing issues almost from the start. My daughter and son in law bought down in Jax, NC in a development of about 30 homes and the builder bailed out before finishing the last few. They've had issues they cannot get resolved due to this adam henry. Our house is custom built and built by its first owner back in 2007 using a local builder and the quality here surpasses even our desired expectations. Not to say that there are no large scale builders who cannot do a good job but give me the smaller builder anytime.
In northern Virginia the tract builders don't have these issues

Old 02-13-2016, 12:38 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,689,146 times
Nuthin's old in 'Murca.

The country house my British wife grew up in is over 600 years old....nobody knows exactly. There is evidence that it was standing before Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

The house is still in her family and I love staying there when we visit. It has, of course, been modernized over the centuries and is very comfy.

I think those 2 foot thick stone exterior walls will be standing for many hundreds more years.

Meanwhile, what are these "brick veneer over particle board" (just on the front, lol) palaces they throw up here good for? 50 years maybe?

Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Nuthin's old in 'Murca.

The country house my British wife grew up in is over 600 years old....nobody knows exactly. There is evidence that it was standing before Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

The house is still in her family and I love staying there when we visit. It has, of course, been modernized over the centuries and is very comfy.

I think those 2 foot thick stone exterior walls will be standing for many hundreds more years.

Meanwhile, what are these "brick veneer over particle board" (just on the front, lol) palaces they throw up here good for? 50 years maybe?
correct, a plain rock in the middle of the field will stand a long time but you're not going to have much modern conveniences.

again do you have evidence to suggest that particle board and brick veneer will suddenly crumble at year 50?

Old 02-14-2016, 09:21 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,321,417 times
It is a fact some things were better in previous generations. For one thing really old houses were built with old growth wood, which is much stronger than the wood they use today. Some things have gotten better like insulation standards. Some homebuilders today put out crappy products but I suspect that happened 70 years ago too.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:14 AM

795 posts, read 1,012,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Nuthin's old in 'Murca.

Moat, drawbridge and torture chamber?

Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 AM

529 posts, read 752,098 times
Before it was quality, now it is quantity.

Corporates have become too greedy unless you are ready to spend more for quality.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:03 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,689,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Moat, drawbridge and torture chamber?

Oops, I used the term "country house" improperly. I meant that it is not located in an urban area.

However, my dear wife is telling me that an English country house (or manor house) is a large mansion that indeed may include some or all of the features you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia