Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:16 AM

9 posts, read 12,731 times

Advertisements

I live in another state, and I have accepted a job in DC. Now planning a rental house hunting trip to NoVA. I don't really know what the NoVA rental market is like. Can you give any advice on when would be the best time to come for the house hunting trip, and how long to allow for the trip?

The new job starts mid-April, and I'd like to start a lease the first week of April if possible. I am thinking about scheduling the trip to house hunt from Friday, March 11 through Tuesday, March 15.

So here are my questions:
- Is 5 days enough time to find a rental house? We aren't incredibly picky, but want something clean and safe.
- Are we better off house hunting on the weekend or week days?
- Our househunting trip would take place just 2-3 weeks before we would want to start a lease. Should we try to schedule the trip earlier?

Details: We're looking to rent a SFH or TH, 3-4 BR, with a 1-year lease. Budget is about $2500/month, but we could stretch up to $3000 if absolutely necessary. Based on commute and schools, we'll probably be trying to rent (and eventually buy) in Fairfax county immediately West of 495: Mantua, Canterbury Woods, or maybe West Springfield. Two kids under 5 with one starting kindergarten in the fall.

Any other advice on rental house searches in Northern Virginia? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 12:45 PM

857 posts, read 843,628 times
Not intricately familiar with specific neighborhoods you mentioned (i.e., never looked/rented/owned there), however based on my search for a rental in Alexandria (Old Town) earlier this year I would recommend scouring various online resources with rentals in the desired area as well as contacting some local real estate agents to gauge how long properties remain on the market before they are rented/bought. It was pretty hard to find what I wanted in a general location I wanted, especially with properties being on the market an average of 7 days. If you do prior research and determine that is the case in at least some of the areas you are interested, you'd be more ready to pull the trigger on something that fits your needs vs. waiting for the next best thing so to speak. You could also line up a few properties ahead of your visit, so you are all set to look at specific houses.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:36 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,387 times
From my casual observations, rental houses of that size do not stay on the market long at all. I'd contact a realtor to assist you so you have some places lined up upon getting into town. Townhouses go especially fast because there is less maintenance than a single family home. I don't think you will have trouble with your expectations and price range. It will just be a matter of jumping when something hits the market.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:13 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,504 times
I have to agree with Ffxdata. I looked at realtor.com and only see 5 homes listed in Annandale inside the beltway. I would take a look at these and call the realtors on these listings.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestions to get help from a real estate agent. Sorry to be hopelessly naive, but can anyone explain how a real estate agent is involved in the process of finding a rental? For previous rentals I've always found the apartment on Craigslist and dealt directly with landlord. If an agent helps me to find a rental, who pays the agent's fee?

Old 02-19-2016, 09:25 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,910,099 times
There are Realtors that specialize in rentals, but you have to look for them. Typically, they will also manage a fair amount of rentals and know when something is coming up to be available. I know the area you are looking at, it's where our local real estate mogul, Wes Foster, made his first million. The area is a mishmash of nationalities, a multitude of civil service retirees, with a large Vietnamese population and some of the best Vietnamese food in the US. Towards the end of the Viet Nam War, there was a local assistance center in Annandale that aided refugees. The center helped many, and those that were aided, came back to the center to volunteer, resulting in an increase in the Vietnamese population to the Metro DC area and one of the most successful, self-reliant centers to aid incoming refugees. South Koreans also have settled in the Annandale area, making this area one of the largest Asian American communities, today.

Sorry about the history lesson, I grew up in NoVA and have lived and worked in Annandale for over 10 years. Back to the rentals...if you find one you like make an offer on a lease sooner than later. If you wait, you could lose it, they go quickly. Be prepared for competition. Do you have a MyFico credit report? If so, redact the social and show you are a serious renter.

Realtors are paid an amount equal the first month's commission by the landlord - you are not required to pay, unless they advise you upfront and in wriing, and that is rare. Call a few agents - talk to them on the phone. Let them know you are a serious renter, not a lookie-loo, and someone will take you out a couple days.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:38 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,425,614 times
I would think most homes for rent are going to be listed on craigslist (or similar sites) anyway as the real estate agent thing is not nearly as popular as say New York.

Anyone with a house to rent would be able to show it to you during that four day period you're going to be here and equally as happy to have to sign a lease. You are just going to be at the mercy of whatever the rental inventory is that week especially if you only have that five day period to find a place. There are plenty of townhomes to rent so that won't be an issue, but is possible there just aren't too many good homes available when you come looking.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:44 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,504 times
Sorry, I meant to say outside the beltway in Annandale as that is the area you want for higher rated schools. As someone that is making a long distance move, I would stick to dealing with a realtor that is actually listing one of the homes you see and like on realtor.com. It is common, especially for a SFH to have a realty company do the applications, check finances, etc rather than home owners doing it on their own. These could be people that need to relocate due a temporary job assignment, etc and just don't want to deal with vetting people. Any realtor that deals in rentals can show you other properties. I think you would get the most "bang" for your buck time wise if you have a realtor drive you around and line up appointments before you arrive.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:58 PM

Just to follow up with everyone here, I am now working with a real estate agent to help me find a place, and it does seem like the right way to go. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:51 PM

274 posts, read 348,439 times
Good for you! Yes, working with a Realtor will make your life so much easier. The rental market around here is pretty fierce especially in the spring market. It is first come first serve typically with applications. So you want to have someone working for you to get things done quickly and efficiently. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia