Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 03:31 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what other people think about this in NoVA. I live in a SFH neighborhood in Fairfax County. There is generally plenty of street parking. Some SFHs have 2 car garages, some just 1 car garages. I sort of view it as an unstated rule of suburban courtesy not to park in front of someone else's house unless doing so on a temporary basis, particularly when I know a neighbor often parks one of their own cars there. I own a SFH with a 1 car garage, but my wife and I own 2 cars, so we often (although not always) park one of the cars on the street in front of our house. One of my neighbors has 5 cars with a 1 car garage (plus an extra side space in the driveway) - they appear to have just recently acquired the 5th car. Recently, they seem to be parking 1-2 cars in front of my house on a somewhat regular basis - when they do, it is difficult to park in front of my house - I can sometimes squeeze in right next to my driveway (which is technically illegal and leaves no room to put out the trash cans), but it is rather annoying. The house and street immediately across from them has a 2 car garage and they almost never park any of their cars on the street (and the way the our street curves, that side of the street has almost double the parking space as our side of the street) so I sort of don't understand why they don't choose to park there or even park a 3rd car in their own driveway to avoid having to park in front of other people's homes.

I decided yesterday to go have a friendly chat with the neighbor when I returned home from work and was forced to park my car on the other side of the street so my wife could back her car out of the garage to go to work. The chat went very well, and I think the neighbor was pretty cool about it. We were both very polite and he seemed apologetic for the increased frequency with which it was happening - even mentioned that he recently said something to his other neighbor about parking in front of his house. Of course, it's his 2 live-at-home twenty something sons and and their friends that tend to park in front of my house, not the dad and his wife, so I don't know how receptive they will be once their dad speaks with them. Time will tell, I suppose.

So, I'm just curious what other people think about this in this area who live in similar types of neighborhoods. I realize norms would be a little different if you're in a TH community or some place like olde town Alexandria where the streets are basically always full of cars. Do you also view parking in front of other people's homes on a regular basis being a bit rude? Or, do you think, basically, if it's legal to park there, your neighbor should just be ok with it and it's basically first come, first serve with the parking? I've spoken with other neighbors who feel the same way I do, but curious as to what other people's thoughts are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 03:40 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I'm with you on the issue. I live in a neighborhood with 2 car garages and wide driveway. I actually avoid parking on the street at all costs for some reason. We park two cars in the garage and then the other two are parked front to back on one side of the driveway. This allows one person in the garage to go straight out and the other person just makes a hard right out the garage and has enough space to go down the open side (I do have a fairly long driveway). But, there are times we do use street parking and I would be annoyed if my neighbor did park right in front of my house.

So far, no one in our neighborhood has done that so I think it's common knowledge or common courtesy that you don't do that unless it's unavoidable.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:49 PM

313 posts, read 551,423 times
Its certainly an interesting dynamic not being from around here. Where I'm from overnight parking on the street is illegal and results in a ticket so I was quite shocked to see thats kind of the norm here. Imagining myself as a homeowner I would be quite annoyed if there was always a car in front of my house.

Surprising to see this further out too in Loudon County specifically with Ashburn and Leesburg.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:11 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
I agree that, while it's not illegal, it is rude to park consistently in front of the same neighbor's house. In my neighborhood, many houses do not have garages and houses are close together. So there may be times it can't be avoided. But a neighbor who goes to the grocery (or somewhere else from which s/he's carrying anything heavy or having to make multiple trips) and comes home to find no place in front of his/her house will be inconvenienced. So there's a good reason to be considerate.

It's hard to imagine why any household, even with four adults, would really need 5 cars, but if they decide to have them, I agree with you that they should inconvenience themselves by parking one or more in their own driveway.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:08 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Well, my neighbor (who rents, lives w/girfriend and brother there) - has: dump truck, two BIG diesel pickup trucks (just recently removed the attached snow plows), 3 BMW's, a huge work-type landscaping open trailer and one enclosed one!!! Since the trailers take up the entire driveway, ALL the vehicles park if front of my house as well as all up and down the street (and registered in MD after 2+ yrs. to boot) sigh........

Old 03-19-2016, 05:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Well, my neighbor (who rents, lives w/girfriend and brother there) - has: dump truck, two BIG diesel pickup trucks (just recently removed the attached snow plows), 3 BMW's, a huge work-type landscaping open trailer and one enclosed one!!! Since the trailers take up the entire driveway, ALL the vehicles park if front of my house as well as all up and down the street (and registered in MD after 2+ yrs. to boot) sigh........
Well, that certainly sounds rough. My sympathies.

To the others that have responded so far, I appreciate it. Sounds like I'm not alone in how I feel about the parking in front of my house.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:43 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Thanks airjay. I do understand we don't own the street but it would be nice if people had a little common courtesy.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:00 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Caveat: I'm too lazy to read all the original message, much less the subsequent replies--so herewith my seat-of-the-pants take.

We live in a society. Sure, the Neanderthals parked willy-nilly in front of each other's homes, but us? We have opposable thumbs. Body surface without cover of hair. You just don't park in front of a neighbor's house.

A visitor is an interloper, to be granted temporary slack. But no one wants to be obligated by dint of necessity or breach of etiquette to park elsewhere.

So, Airjay75, your neighbor owns 15 cars? That's his problem.

To him I say: Go rent a #@#!? off-site garage.

And park in front of your own house.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:09 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Mayhaps it's time for the trusty parking chair gambit? Just sayin

Old 03-20-2016, 05:19 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
And in instances like this, I am very thankful for my HOA. We actually have a fairly mild-mannered HOA but the trucks, dump trucks, etc. would not be allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia