Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:23 PM

11 posts, read 10,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I live in Arlington and go to Kingstowne a lot. It is really a matter of whether you want a more urban environment (Arlington) or more a planned HOA environment (Kingstowne). I will add in one thing to consider. The schools in South Arlington can leave some to be desired by some folks. A lot of them have a high ESL population as well as Alexandria City Public Schools. Also, Kingstowne is not in the top cluster of Fairfax County Public Schools. But I have many friends who attended all three and have been satisfied with them all. I think it is hard NOT to get a solid at any school in Northern VA however.
Why would the high rate of ESL negatively impact the school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 12:32 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,677,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabanananicole View Post
I didn't make that statement but, when my kids were in elementary school many years ago, they spent some time in a school that had a very high rate of ESL and it make a big difference in their instruction compared to when they were not in that type of school. Due to some of the language issues, their classes tended to run slower and less advanced. The only way it didn't matter was if they were pulled out and put in a class of kids that were not ESL. Now, maybe things are run differently/better.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:45 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,496,047 times
Quote:
High rate of ESL students in a school comes up fairly often on this board when comparing areas/school districts.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:53 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I didn't make that statement but, when my kids were in elementary school many years ago, they spent some time in a school that had a very high rate of ESL and it make a big difference in their instruction compared to when they were not in that type of school. Due to some of the language issues, their classes tended to run slower and less advanced. The only way it didn't matter was if they were pulled out and put in a class of kids that were not ESL. Now, maybe things are run differently/better.
That would be the first thing I think of anytime schools get talked about for having high ESL populations. From my experience in ACPS the ones who have the ESL need tend to "suffer in silence" when they don't understand instruction in English.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
High rate of ESL students in a school comes up fairly often on this board when comparing areas/school districts.

Seems odd to me, I would have expected in this area you would have a significant number of ESL learners....I was also under the impression that children who become fluent in more than one language statistically score higher....

Or are we saying ESL as a dog whistle code for less educated immigrants of the brownish complexion?

Old 04-05-2016, 02:05 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,534,208 times
Quote:
Seems odd to me, I would have expected in this area you would have a significant number of ESL learners....I was also under the impression that children who become fluent in more than one language statistically score higher....

Or are we saying ESL as a dog whistle code for less educated immigrants of the brownish complexion?
A lot of it is just probably the fact that ESL students tend to be less well off and probably more likely to have a less stable home environment.

So much of test scores is just a school's demographics. It's a real shocker that the wealthy neighborhoods in say Burke or North Arlington have high test scores.

I would be interested to see a study of NOVA test scores when accounting for these different demographics.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
A lot of it is just probably the fact that ESL students tend to be less well off and probably more likely to have a less stable home environment.

So much of test scores is just a school's demographics. It's a real shocker that the wealthy neighborhoods in say Burke or North Arlington have high test scores.

I would be interested to see a study of NOVA test scores when accounting for these different demographics.
Anytime you have a group struggling financially you are correct test scores reflect, enrichment is unfortunately a luxury. I was reading on niche.com it ranks TC Williams as an A school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia